New to Diverticulitis need liquid diet help

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have no clue what to eat. What are some soft food suggestions. With my flare ups I am in the bathroom with severe abdominal pain. Sometimes up to 10 times a day. Just finished 7 days of antibiotics. 4 days after taking the last one, well today I had a flare up. This is hard to deal with. I am a very busy sales manager and I feel I have no control of my life. Thanks for any advice.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Mashed potatoes no skin applesauce jello boiled chicken or crockpot ( eat small amounts to make sure you can tolerate broth preferable bone broth check out mayo clinic soft food diet Good luck to you
  • Posted

Did you doctor give you an antispasmodic as in Bentyl?  That will help with the cramping and I think you need a probiotic to settle your intestines from the antibiotics.  I took Florestor which really helped with the diarrhea.  Soft foods as in potatoes, carrots and stay away from hard to digest meats.  Chicken, ground beef and use a crockpot to cook.  No skins at all!  They are hard to digest so peel all fruits. It takes time and patience but once you get your system balanced you will start to feel better.  Take care and know this support group will help you.❤️
    • Posted

I have been on Bentyl for 6 years. I was diagnosed with IBS many years ago. I am going to grab a pro biotic tomorrow. Feels good to know others are going through this and we can help support one another. Thanks
  • Posted

I agree with what everyone else has said on this thread. 

Keep in mind that foods can have different results on different people so pay attention to what you drank or ate prior to episodes. 

Also, the antibiotics they put me on caused some of my stomach cramping too, which is different from an actual flare up. 

A heating pad also helped me when I slep at night. I used one with an automatic shutoff timer.

I drank blackberry cranberry juice, apple juice, lots of different teas, had jello and frozen pulp free frozen pops. When I moved to soft foods, I lived on mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs along with some types of soups.

The key with me was to ensure I was eating small portions and chewing my food well before swallowing. As someone else said, make certain you are taking a probiotic. 

Just remember, you can do everything right and still have a flare up. Try to keep stress levels down as you don’t need any built up acid causing additional issues.

I wish you all the best!

• Posted

Try asking your docyor for Questran sachets powder fibre form mix. with juice or water or skimmed milk I take 4 a day my consultant put me on them it bulks up your feaces poos.  Ok. This is a life saver. for me because constant pain diarrhoea for months and loss of weight I  never got any antibiotics offered by my surgery I should been given but my surgery docs useless Thats why ended back under consultant  Honestly your doc should have given you a leaflet on diet or a nurse or your consultant . Anyway look on google. Dont forget Coffee is a laxitive and tea !!  Thats a no no big time. Try. Ginger  tea or Green tea. Also a light diet would be chicken Rice.toast boiled egg fish. Mashed potato. Fish These foods  fine. Bad things nuts tomato sweetcorn. onions. spiced food seeded bread Red meat . Anything with seeds in can get stuck in your pouches in the dervicular pouches cause a flare up.  Plus antibiotics will give worse diarthoea. Just think I have an intestine that has pouches and all the things I have said will give you pain Its like having a intestine with S bends like under your sink gets.  BLOCKED  gets stuck in them. Please ask for Questran as I havnt had any diarrhoea for 2 weeks now.  and my pain now so much better . You need to bulk up your poo not being crude but cleares the pouches out. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.