New to Fentanyl....

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all..

First post for me so here goes....

I suffer from a really bad lower back, and a worn out right hip joint which has a bone tumour attached to it. The hip can't be replaced for fear of agrivating the tumour. I had major surgery for this about ten years ago and have only just recently been discharged from Birmingham Royal Orthopaedic Hospital following very regular check-ups. Traveling 200 miles for each appt was a right pain, although it was necessary.

Anyway I've just been started on Fentanyl patches 12ug then upped to 25ug after three days, having being changed over from Dihydracodine 240mg which I had been on for about 10 years.

Once started on the Fentanyl I started to get severe withdrawl symptoms from the Dihidracodine inc diarrhea, sweating, flu like symptoms, achy bones, sweating, runny nose. And my legs, wow... my legs. I just couldn't keep them still for about 3 days, sleeping was impossible.

I'm finding now that I'm still sweating in the night even though the room I'm in is quite cool, and my sweats odour is strange, normally I don't stink at all but I can only describe the smell as a type of chemical type odour coming from my skin?

After my first week on Fentanyl I feel I'm still not feeling any benefit from it yet. I don't know wheather it makes any difference but I'm 6'2 and 18 stone? I know you have to start on a low dose but I'm thinking I should be on a higher dose to gain benefit from this medication?

Any opinions or thoughts welcomed.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear of you pain, if I could advise you it would be not to use fentanyl patch I know every one is different but going by the posts on here were against them .you say there isn't any affect so don't use them 
  • Posted

Hi Orb, This is my first time joining a discussion forum. So here I go. I've gone through the withdraws you've described word for word. I've been on oxycodone for about 6yrs and clonazepam too. My new pain management is putting me on "the patch ” soon along with methodone. I don't think I could go through that hell again. Either ask for a stronger dose and/or another med to eliminate or ease the w/d. Mine lasted 3 days. The legs part was horrible. I felt like I wanted to break out of my skin. Please notify me if there's anything more. Like what your Dr has done to help. Thank you and good luck.
    • Posted

Hi sunka,

Thanks for the post.

Yes the withdrawal symtoms were awful. I spoke to the chemist again after the fourth day as the withdrawals came back again that evening. No sleep again sad

Anyway as I was under the impression it was coming off the Dihydrocodine (DHC) that was causing the withdrawl symptoms. I decided to start taking half a tablet again on top of the Fentanyl. Worked a treat. No more withdrawl symptoms smile

I still firmly believe I should be on at least 50ug Fent patches as the 25ug are doing nothing for my pain. However my doc is not back from holiday for another two weeks so I've got to wait before another prescription can be written out. I'm just glad the horrible feelings are gone.

Regards

• Posted

Good thinking. I have no doubt it was from the DHC. Yes. I agree. Stronger dose, plus a separate med for w/d. Someone must be covering for your chemist while he/she is out. Go in anyway or at least call and ask. It's your body and pain. Not theirs. My PCP is out too. I'm still on the 2 pain meds I mentioned earlier, at least till he/she comes back. Have an awesome day anyway. Best of Everything to you.
  • Posted

Hi, I've been on strong meds for 4 years, though today ive got my 1st 12mg fentanyl patches. Was told to put a patch on then take my next 2 doses of tramadol then stop, it took me a month to come off dihydrocodiene. Will this be the same, is there an addictive side to 400mg daily of tramadol?. Iam on 5 other pain killing meds too......how are you getting on with ur medication I've seen both good and bed reviews, been told as I was fine tho got addicted to oramorph, I should be ok.
    • Posted

Hi, you were probably advised to continue the 2 doses of Tramadol to counteract any withdrawls from them whilst transfering over to Fentanyl. Once the Fentanyl starts to work it will hopefully counteract any withdrawls and take over from the Tramadol just fine.

I can't advise on the Tramadol as I've never had that. I have kicked the Fentanyl since starting this thread though as they never killed the pain for me (even on 75mcg.) After speaking to my doc I just went back on to the max dose of Dihydrocodine (240mg per day.) Luckily I didn't suffer any side effects or withdrawls from Fentanyl either, so all the horror stories about coming off Fentany don't apply to all people, especially it seems if your going back to something you've been on before.

• Posted

Hi, thanku for ur reply, its day 5 today on 12mg and iam taking 6 tramadol a day I cant hack the pain, I've got 3 kids that need me, am waiting for a reply from my Drs surgery at the mo. During my op my sciatic nerve had a chunk cut out of it by accident so I've got scar tissue and nerve pain, hope my Dr ups it, the pregabalin and naproxen don't seem to do much either. 200 miles is a fair way to travel but if its a good hospital its worth it x
    • Posted

Hello caroline,

I have been using the Fentanyl patches for 3 yrs now,  my Dr started me on the 12mg patch and kept upping the dose each month until  I got pain relief from the Fentanyl alone,  prior to this I was taking Tramadol and kept reducing them as the Fent was increased.   The Fentanyl is very good but as with all pain relief meds you get used to them,  it then seems to be up to each individual GP as to what happens next.

I hope you can soon get up to a level that makes you comfortable and you are able to have a better life,  it must be very difficult for you dealing with what has happened,  the pain  and caring for 3 children.   I do feel for you and wish you well.  

Warm regards

Jessie x

• Posted

Hi thankyou for your kind reply, I was advised to use 2 12mg patches till I get my next stronger patches. Iam still in pain but wow my head, its so fuzzy, like am drunk..and also iam struggling to keep them stuck to my skin, ive tried plasters over, just the sticky plaster tape, ive even resorted to Sellotape! Any ideas on that one, I don't know if its related but my prioris has gone crazy spreading all over the place xx
    • Posted

Hello Caroline,

sorry to hear you are having problems with the patches,  the fuzzy head may be a temporary thing until you get used to them,  are you taking any other drugs that might interact with them...   antidepressants for example...   could be a 'give it time '  one.    To keep the patches on i use a dressing tape,  it's called micropore,  made by 3M   and this one is for sensitive skin,  other makes  make my skin itch..... definatly to be avoided.   You have Psoriasis?    could it be that you are getting a bit stressed with various issues ....     I hope your Dr can give you somethine to ease it and stop it breaking out,   although I have it I have never found a good way of easing it.......    but having said that   I do use a good hand cream on it,   nothing medical about it   just regular H/cream  but it is so good,   AVEENA,  there is an every day moisturizing one and a  Skin Relief one,  made from Oats and other things,  not expensive to buy and a little goes a long way,  made a big difference to my skin all over.  I think,  keeping the skin soft and moist help it not be so dry and itchy where a patch of Psoriasis breaks out...   just my personal thought mind   lol.

The tape for the patches,   don't cover the patch all over - just tape round the edges of it,  I hope you soon get your stronger patch and this gives you good pain relief.

Warm regards

Jessie x                

• Posted

Hello Caroline

sorry that should read AVEENO     not AVEENA .........   and sorry it has taken me so long to reply to you ....    Jessie x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.