New to Fibro

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am was at my Doctors earlier this week and after numerous blood test was told I have fibromyalgia and IBS.

To me it’s a lot to take on, my doctor gave me a site to go on to read up on it so it helps me understand but I am struggling to get my head around everything. Does everybody struggle with the understanding of it and do your symptoms of it get any easier.

I apologise now for waffling on......

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

For me they did because I learned what my body could and could not do. In the beginning I tried to be active and life was stressful as well and I was bad, really bad chronic fatigue syndrome, depression and extrememly bad muscle spasms or twitches. My fibro seems to be more limiting strengthwise than most and perhaps the spasms are part of the reason. My only advice is to read up on fibro fog, dont beat yourself up about it when it occurs, if you get depressed get treated and if the meds are less are too much go without. This is a maintenance disorder, you need to maintain the best life you can and sometimes that means no meds and being disabled like me but a lot of people do fine with meds and can continue working. Most importantly, make sure the people in your life understand and can help you out. My first marriage broke up over that, his family thought I was faking and told him daily. That planted a bad seed in me and him and it didnt work. If you have anyone negative root them out now! You will be better off without them in the long run. Im sorry you have been dealt this card but you have friends here who have gone through it or are new to it like you. *hugs*
    • Posted

Hi,

thanks for your reply it was very helpful. I have been reading up on it quite a bit sometimes it’s really confusing there’s so much to ge5 your head around.

When you feel drained sit down and relax, I can’t do that as my legs start jumping and the pain really is unbelievable. That’s what I’m struggling with at the moment lack of sleep and pain but no doubt it will sort itself out soon. I have a good husband and good family so on that I’m fine. There really is a lotto try and get your head around though eh!!!

• Posted

I use 10mg of amitriptylin for sleep, insomnia is one of my bad symptoms. I cannot take anymore of that med without being groggier in the morning so if you ask for it start out low and increase if needed. 10 seems to be a low dose.

For me the twiching legs and hands were only eased by being calm, watch a calming show or music, I dont know if that will work for you but thats how I dealt with them.

• Posted

I had a very difficult time when i got diagnosed (even though i already knew i had FMS) and in the weeks after my diagnose i felt sooooo bad, everything hurt, couldn't sleep - kept thinking about it and obsessing over it. went to a few therapy sessions that helped a bit. and just told myself to stop obssesing over it cause it makes everything wrose.. be thankful your alive smile i take supplements that helps a bit like 100 mg of Bcomplex that i find helps with my moods. vitamin c helps a bit 1000 mg 3 times a day especially in the cold weather - always dress warm helps me too and taking it easy... I do zumba which helps alot cause i kind of forget everything when i'm dancing even the pain goes away so look for sport you will enjoy.  relax at evening before bed time helps - i use essential oils like sweet orange and lavender in a diffuser and dim the lights and try to do relaxing things like watching comedy's, write in my journal and things like that. you have to understand that you are the only one that van take care of yourself so be wise and take control of your body and emotions. it's ok to feel sorry for yourself at times but don't fall apart.. good luck smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.