New to Fibromyalgia

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi all, I was diagnosed this week with FBM after aching and stiffness since February. My doctor this week has started me off on Co-Codimal, this helps but only takes the edge of the pain, do you think I should stick with it or ask for something stronger. I take two last thing at night before settling down for the night, when I wake in the morning I am back to square and have great difficullty in moving to get up.

Also, I would like to ask does FBM cure itself or is it a thing for life.

Oh the joys of getting older :cry: :D !

2 likes, 83 replies

83 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Laura,

I'd say, defo, give the Lyrica a try. Like you say, no harm in trying it.

Your GP can prescribe it.

I'm pleased to say that there is a link to the FMA website now on here.

Have you applied for DLA Laura? If you are going to, defo, go on there first and email the advisor on there, to walk you through the form.

It's a very long winded form and quite difficult so help is advisable with it.

They can also help anyone going through the appeal process.

I certainly, couldn't survive without it. It pays for my cleaner and my carers, etc., etc.

I know how hard it is to cope alone. I bought my 4 boys up alone and had no family anywhere near to help.

The thing is to try and pace yourself. Write yourself a list of the things you must do, like the washing etc. And be proud of yourself, if you manage to do one thing on your list.

Rest when you can, even if you are sitting on the sofa reading a story to your children. Don't carry them, unless you have too.

How are you sleeping? You could ask your GP for a low dose of amytriptylene as well?

It does not make any sence at all, to give you anti-inflammartorys!

I don't drink coffee. But, I do drink lots of tea.

I've been on a gluten/wheat/yeast free diet for about 7 months now.

But not for the Fibro.

For my IBS as I am always very swollen.

Can't say it's helped the fibro.

I hadn't heard of it for fibro.

Off to watch the live emmerdale1

Debs xx

• Posted

Thanks Debs, appreciate all the info. Well, sleep, that eludes me! Haha I'm a terrible sleeper, my GP put me on trazodone recently and it turned me into a raving lunatic! Apparently my husband found me clinging onto the door frame thinking he was trying to chop my head off! Funny! But I will ask her about amitriptyline and lyrica. I haven't looked into DLA yet but I will do, and will def check out that website first.

Thanks again for the advice

Laura xx

• Posted

Hi ,i have been diagnoised with fobro.They have put me on savell 100 mg 2 times a day.The meds itaself helps the pain.But have severe hot flushes and sweating.Has anyone else had this medicine..
  • Posted

Hi Laura,

Gosh, that's an extreme reaction to the Trazodone!

Amitriptyline is similar, I think, but it MAY suit you better??

You don't know until you try. Might be best if you do start a new medication to wait until your husband is there?? I think you said, he was away a lot?

It would perhaps be best to start Lyrica first and see how you go with that?

If you were to start 2 new medications at the same time, and had a reaction, you wouldn't know which one it was?? But, of course, your Doctor is the best person to discuss that with.

Did you say, you were a student as well? that's a lot to cope with, so you are doing really well.

With 2 children and the house, you are juggling a lot. So, you need to try and get your pain under some control. You must be quite stressed and of course stress is your enemy with fibro.

Are you doing any gentle exercises or relaxation techniques?

Val, might be able to help you with that??

Milo.... Hi, Can you give more information about yourself?

I can't find any information about SAVELL. Does it have another name?

If you are having bad side effects, you should discuss that with your Doctor.

Debs x

• Posted

Please return to your doctor. I have just returned to my doctor with the same problems as you

He was more than happy to increase my pain killers and increase my other pills to help improve my condiction. He has said he wants to see me on a regular basis (once a month or two) just in case he can adjust my medication to continue improvements.

you have no reason to be remain in pain and stiffness, help is out there so go for it.

Take care

• Posted

Hi all, I take it this forum is a help forum and all suggestions should be respected as we do not know what is going on in that other persons life.

I now only take paracetamol for FMS as all the other drugs mentioned have not worked mainly, taking in the long term they actually made me feel worse. I have just come to accept that I have the condition and try not to let it get me down. I meditate everyday which is not always very easy to do, I have also paid for a programme called sound therapy I am into my third week of the therapy and there has been a small improvement on my condition and will keep you all posted on how that goes. Ibuprofen can enhance fibro fog, I have had no problems with fog since I have stopped them 2 wks ago.

love and peace James

• Posted

In America there's a drive to drink more water - tap, bottled, carbonated, "8 oz times 8 times a day" - and what we've seen is a rise in fibromyalgia. Everywhere you look on public transportation, someone is carrying a water bottle.   I have to wonder if we're washing out our electrolytes complying with the new standards of hydration. 

I was using tap water to lose weight and after a month of 3 liters per day,  for several days I could barely move my body ... everything involving moving hurt!  I could barely curl my fingers or raise my arms.  Even getting out of bed hurt.  Since I was becoming bed ridden, I searched the internet for electroylyte wash-out (my degree is in biology with premed in college) and found symptoms were nearly the same.  I switched to salted sausage and my pain slowly subsided. 

The irony of water overdose is once we start on heavy water intake it actually starts a 'rebound' thirst even while we're in electrolyte trouble.  It took a lot of will power to stay away from chilled water because I had an unbearable thirst even while in pain. Uncontrollable thirst finally went away on day two when I began to function normally. 

About six months later, my friend told me he was in so much pain he couldn't move, not even to get to the bathroom; it hurt to use the remote!  I told him my experience and he told me he was using plain carbonated water to lose weight.  He immediately stopped - with the same ferocious rebound thirst - and ate normal electroytic meals or drank an electrolyte replacement drink.  In two days he was fine again.  Pain gone. Except for the arthritis ... but for that he needs to get off the sofa more often.

Another friend refused to acknowledge anything she liked to drink could be a problem so she went the pharmaceutical route.  She still has pain with intermittent periods of relief.  Periods of relief that are getting further and further apart!  She has a steady intake of diet soda pop (obviously not for weight loss, but rather a dietary concession)

I see on the internet more people are connecting fluoride poisoning with fibromyalgia but I think that's just because people can't believe just WATER can cause problems.  After all, doctors told us to drink more and who would know more than they?  Why don't doctors ask us what we were doing before we got sick ... and maybe STOP that before starting a pharmaceutical regimen on a problem we still exacerbate?

I would like to hear your opinion on this.  I certainly don't have enough evidence to be considered statistically significant.  smile

Some Questions I'd like answered on the demographic:

-How many people with fibromyalgia were trying to lose weight using water products?

-How many people were trying to comply with healthier lifestyle or sports performance recommendations?

-How many women compared to men are diagnosed with fibromyalgia? (more women diet)

-What is the relationship between start of the "people don't drink enough water" craze and the rise in incidence of fibromyalgia?  'Cause I don't remember it being a problem before the 'drink more water' edict.

-How many doctors recommend any other course of treatment for 'fibromyalgia' besides drugs?  Because Fibro (fibrous connective tissue)-Myo (muscle) -algia (pain) is a 'state of being' not a 'disease', anymore than 'fever' is a disease and not a state symptomatic of something.  i.e., Fever is a symptom of something else.  In fact, fibro-my[o]-algia has been around for a very long time but has only just recently become an epidemic and called a 'disease'.  Why?

Meanwhile sufferers are blaming aluminum in the water, genetics, statistics of chaos, cell phone towers, etc, searching for why this has happened to them and not someone else in the house.  If someone doesn't look into "why", we'll just keep doing whatever it is that's crippling us.

I think the comment on B12 is on the right track.  In fact, any B Complex should help.  But this is basically another attempt to use pills as a patch, without examining cause.  Unless we stabilize forces that brought this on, we're doomed to stamping out nearest fire.

• Posted

Hello Mrs SAS

I have found a way to ease Fm pain.  Have a bath each evening with normal bubble bath AND a hand full of Rock Salt, it desolves fast in the hot bath. Soak in it for at least 20 mins. I have found this helps a great deal. I do also take 1000mg x 6-8 Paracetamols daily and 100mg Tramadol x 6-8 daily.  I found the C0-Codimals didn't work for me.  I sometimes also use Movelat Gel (There is a cream but I found it very sticky and took longer to rub in). I do have to say that I am using a lot less gel now I use the rock salt bath.  There is also a very good, helpful book out 'the Fibromyalgia Healing Diet'. I found it in our local library and ended up buying a my own copy (£10 online).  It explains the problems the body is coping with and how to help it out.  I honestly do feel so much better following this book that I am hoping to be able to reduce some of the painkillers I need at the moment (it's not a quick fix but a long term fix). 

Hope this helps you. Take care

Ruth M-T

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.