New to Fluoxetine - week 3

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all,

I've dealt with anxiety since I was a very young child (mostly social, but also generalized) depression came in my pre-teens. I used talk therapy to help my depression as a teen. But now as an adult in my late 20's my anxiety is crippling and my depression hit an all time low. I finally reached out for help and my doctor prescribed me 20mgs of Fluoxetine.

The first day I took it I felt high- happy, very sleepy and not a care in the world. But that was a temporary feeling (thank goodness as I didn't want to feel out of it). I have less racing thoughts, I have more energy throughout the day, I don't feel so down either. But I feel very physically anxious and this past week I woken up daily at 4am with deep pit of anxiety in my stomach. I've read it gets worse before it gets better but I really don't want to feel like I'm on the verge of a melt down anymore.

Also, I eat less. Which is fine with me. But does the anxiety take a little longer to get over?

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

hi elio . im at week 5 and im having the same issue only i wake up at 1 on the morning and cant sleep . just worry that im not working and will i ever feel better . not to give you any further worry but want you to know your not alone . hope things get better for us both .

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm with you too guys. The waking up does get better and meditation to help relax you and get back to sleep helps but I'm struggling some days when working but I keep telling myself it's got to get better. Hope you both feel better soon too

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Ellie,

your symptoms are normal. I am also in my late 20s but was recently diagnosed with panick attacks and anxiety disorder.

I began on 10mg fluoxitine 2 months ago and the first two weeks were horrible - never slept, did not eat, my anxiety was 100% worse, and every other symptom there is. but going into week three was a whole new world, all the side effects decreased and by week 3 i was feeling like my old self again. i am now on week 9 and just encountered a blip of anxiety but not nearly as bad as It was. dont get discouraged and hang in there! definitely got worse before it got better!!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Ellie,

I am in week two of 20mg Fluoxetine and I also wake up at 4-5am with that deep pit of anxiety in my stomach. It's AWFUL. Excruciating in fact. Not sure how much more of this I can take 😦

I hope things are easing for you and you turn a corner soon.

Lucy x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Ellie,

I am in week two of 20mg Fluoxetine and I also wake up at 4-5am with that deep pit of anxiety in my stomach. It's AWFUL. Excruciating in fact. Not sure how much more of this I can take 😦

Lucy x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Ellie,

Lucy x

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up