New to Fluoxetine - week 3

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all,

I've dealt with anxiety since I was a very young child (mostly social, but also generalized) depression came in my pre-teens. I used talk therapy to help my depression as a teen. But now as an adult in my late 20's my anxiety is crippling and my depression hit an all time low. I finally reached out for help and my doctor prescribed me 20mgs of Fluoxetine.

The first day I took it I felt high- happy, very sleepy and not a care in the world. But that was a temporary feeling (thank goodness as I didn't want to feel out of it). I have less racing thoughts, I have more energy throughout the day, I don't feel so down either. But I feel very physically anxious and this past week I woken up daily at 4am with deep pit of anxiety in my stomach. I've read it gets worse before it gets better but I really don't want to feel like I'm on the verge of a melt down anymore.

Also, I eat less. Which is fine with me. But does the anxiety take a little longer to get over?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Edited

hi elio . im at week 5 and im having the same issue only i wake up at 1 on the morning and cant sleep . just worry that im not working and will i ever feel better . not to give you any further worry but want you to know your not alone . hope things get better for us both .

• Posted

I'm with you too guys. The waking up does get better and meditation to help relax you and get back to sleep helps but I'm struggling some days when working but I keep telling myself it's got to get better. Hope you both feel better soon too

• Posted

Hi Ellie,

your symptoms are normal. I am also in my late 20s but was recently diagnosed with panick attacks and anxiety disorder.

I began on 10mg fluoxitine 2 months ago and the first two weeks were horrible - never slept, did not eat, my anxiety was 100% worse, and every other symptom there is. but going into week three was a whole new world, all the side effects decreased and by week 3 i was feeling like my old self again. i am now on week 9 and just encountered a blip of anxiety but not nearly as bad as It was. dont get discouraged and hang in there! definitely got worse before it got better!!

• Posted

Hi Ellie,

I am in week two of 20mg Fluoxetine and I also wake up at 4-5am with that deep pit of anxiety in my stomach. It's AWFUL. Excruciating in fact. Not sure how much more of this I can take 😦

I hope things are easing for you and you turn a corner soon.

Lucy x

• Posted

Hi Ellie,

I am in week two of 20mg Fluoxetine and I also wake up at 4-5am with that deep pit of anxiety in my stomach. It's AWFUL. Excruciating in fact. Not sure how much more of this I can take 😦

Lucy x

• Edited

Hi Ellie,

Lucy x

• Posted

Hi Lucy

ive just been through the worst of this. Im on 40mg fluoxitine and its taken me until the 5th week for side effects to lessen. hold in there, it is worth going through.

its the following weeks and months where you get the full benefits of the meds too by what I read.

• Posted

Just an update 8 months on.

I was suffering depression and anxiety, I went through 12 weeks of CBT which did change parts of my thinking but afterwards it still felt I wasnt right, over active mind, constant anxiety feeling, always aware of my thoughts/ thinking and emotions. I contacted the doctors and it was agreed to come off fluoxetine and start Elexfor. I also take amytriptaline, after 2 weeks I have seen significant improvement to the extent I am back to my normal self, living like I always new was where I needed to be.

• Posted

Hi Lucy,

Not sure if you are still on here but i am just looking for reassurance. I am only on day 5 of 20mg of Fluoxetine and i am feeling horrendous, The worst of the side affects is the crippling anxiety that i have never experienced before, its that bad that i am thinking of stopping.

Many thanks

• Posted

Hi Ellie0, 4 weeks ago i went through a severe state of anxiety that ive never been through before. I stopped taking my meds as i had reached a point that id always thought of over the last 20 years. it was horrendous, constant intrusive thoughts, churning stomach 24/7, couldnt sleep, felt hopeless, not good enough, anxiety fueled the thoughts and doubts and it then brought back uncontrollable intrusive thoughts id struggled with relating to my wifes past (which to be fair is a simple one). The thoughts are so vivid and real fueled by the anxiety, this also made her a trigger. i started on 40mg of fluoxitine 4 weeks ago, its only in the 5th week and ive started to feel a difference. slight increase in appetite, sleeping better, anxiety is less, thoughts are less intrusive, triggers have lessened but one way or another i feel as if there always there. mood has levelled but not great by any means.

im too going through the same thing questioning if its going to work and im going to come good again. I think its just part of the process of getting better with anxiety / OCD , one day at a time. hopefully the coming weeks will let the meds work fully and allow us to get back to our selves.

• Posted

Just an update 8 months on.

I was suffering depression and anxiety, I went through 12 weeks of CBT which did change parts of my thinking but afterwards it still felt I wasnt right, over active mind, constant anxiety feeling, always aware of my thoughts/ thinking and emotions. I contacted the doctors and it was agreed to come off fluoxetine and start Elexfor. I also take amytriptaline, after 2 weeks I have seen significant improvement to the extent I am back to my normal self, living like I always new was where I needed to be.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.