new to forum - general advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello All,

This is my first post. I'm getting sick of living with heartburn and tight chest etc and hoped I might get some insightful advice from my fellow sufferers!

I was diagnosed with "Barrett's Epithelium" and a "Hiatus Hernia" a few years ago and have had two endoscopy procedures so far. I take 40mg of Pantoprazole and also use Gaviscon etc to help. 

I also cannot burp. Have never been able to. Saying that, I do randomly burp once in a while and it's such a glorious relief, I'd love to be able to do it more. Instead my throat makes a strange growl sound.

I am (mostly) avoiding foods that cause problems, although sometimes I slip OR seem to get pain for no reason.

And I don't quite understand why paracetamol seems to aggravate it. I have taken some today and have the usual mild heartburn, shortness of breath and a tightening in my chest.

I am hoping to get advice on ways to relieve my symptoms and insight into techniques to help me potentially deal with it better.

Thanks all. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I was born with an undiagnosed hiatal hernia and later developed Barrett's. I know what you mean about not being able to burp like other people. I described the noise I made more as a "moo" than a growl. Nine years ago, after being on medication for 20 years, I had a Nissan's Fundoplication and hernia repair and my life was changed remarkably. I no longer had to take the acid inhibitors and I seldom had reflux, no matter what I ate. I suggest that you try to find a surgeon who does the Nissan's procedure if you can. Not all surgeons do this on a regular basis so find one who does.

Good luck!

• Posted

Im sorry your dealing with this It's horrible I myself Have both as well Because nothing is helping my symptoms I have to have the hiatal hernia repaired because that is a large part of what's causing the symptoms I have to have surgery on the esauphagus because the meds just dont help I get tightness and nervousness in my chest It feels like an anxiety attack I was put on xanax temporarily to help that My doc is worried if I dont take care of it soon it could turn cancerous if I don't do it soo soon I had my scope over a year ago But got distracted because my 27 yr old daughter got cancer So I've really suffered by putting it off If you have had shortness of breath at all That is the hiatal hernia They cause so many problems Please don't let it go I wish you love and luck This is not an easy thing to go thru 

• Posted

Hi me again Spoke with my Daughter Her advice is to absolutely get your hiatal hernia fixed She said that is causing most of your symptoms made worse by Barretts The tightness and shortness of breath should be completely aliviated by surgical repair   Good Luck
  • Posted

Pray and meditate every day. You have anxiety. And repeat as a sort of mantra "all is well"

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.