New to forums

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone - I've never used forums before but thought it would be helpful to chat to others in the same position as myself.  I was diagnosed with RA about 3 years ago.  At the moment I have severe pain in my hands and wrists and nexk and right shoulder.  I don't take any medication as I have been trying for a baby with my husband.  I tried taking Sulphazalazine but had an allergic reaction and ended up in hospital so I'm not able to take them anymore and Hydroxychloriquine did nothing for me.  Methatrexate was recommended 3 years ago but can't take them while trying for baby.  I find RA very difficult somedays and feel quite upset by it all.    Is anyone else in my situation (trying for baby)?  I've considered stopping trying for a baby and just taking Methatrexate some days as i'm in so much pain.  Any tips anyone? 

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, My husband was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis in July 2014 and had really swollen and painful ankles - he could hardly walk. The arthritis ended up in both ankles at one stage. He was put on Sulfasalazine to start and then when it got worse he was put on Methotrexate as well. I happened upon an article in our newspaper of a guy from Sydney Australia who was able to control and eliminate his Rheumatoid arthritis by eliminating the foods that were causing the arthritis. I purchased the program and put my husband on it and after only a few months he is off all medications, has no pain and when he does get some swelling in his ankles/elbow from over doing things or wearing incorrect footwear it only is a problem for a few hours or a day at the most and never like the pain that he was in prior to changing his diet. I did not have any hesitations in trying this because he didnt want to be on medications for the rest of his life. He has a follow up appointment with his Rheumy this week to tell him that he has stopped all medication so will see what he says about that. If you want to check the program out just google Clint Paddison. He is on facebook as well as having done a TED talk. So good luck and hope you are better soon. Jenny
    • Posted

Hi Jenny.  Many thanks for your reply.  I've tried cutting out lots of food but doesn't seem to work but will definately have a look at that program, maybe there is something I haven't tried! It's really good for you to be on this website as it probably gives you a better understanding of what your husband is going through, I know it can be difficult to understand sometimes, I feel bad for my husband somedays as we share chores around the house and if i'm home from work and haven't done any of my chores then he comes home and ends up having to do everything!  When I stopped medication because I wanted to try for a baby, Rheumatology discharged me as they say they don't  treat patients when they are not on medication, although I have managed to sneak in and have a steroid injection now and then! :-)  Thanks again for taking the time to reply to me and will definately look into your advice :-).  Anna.
    • Posted

Hi again Anna, That's okay, I hope it will be of some help to you. I have to be honest and say that I may not have purchased Clints' program if he wasn't an Aussie as I am usually quite wary of these things but it was definitely meant to be for us. The timing was right to start his program and looking back at the diary we are keeping it was from day 32 that he was writing good things about pain levels etc and from then on it has been amazing. Peter has been drinking a couple of beers again which he is very happy about and has not affected him. He is still not having meat or dairy and not sure if he will bother going back to these. He does have a little chicken in some soup but apart from that he doesn't bother. So we have really adjusted the program to suit Peter and when he wants something different we will introduce new foods slowly to see if they aggravate his arthritis. The other benefit is that he has lost 10 kg and that obviously helps with the knees and ankles. Anyway the saying 'when the student is ready, the teacher appears' was very true for us. Good luck on your journey smile
  • Posted

hello anna i take Sulphazalazine with no problem  afer a steriod injection and taking he pills i feel better but i have only been on them a week i am not in your position all my children have grown up and  to old to have any more hope things get better for you carol
    • Posted

Hi Carol.  Surprisingly, I found Sulphazalazine really good! Within the first week of being on it I was feeling much better!  The second week, I developed a rash and fever and was really ill in hospital.  I was so frustrated because it was working for me :-(.  Steroid are great - they make you feel on top of the world!  Wish I could have them again!!.  Hope you have beeter luck with the Sulphazalazine! Thanks for your reply.  Anna
    • Posted

so far i am ok but it is early days i hope i dont get any rashes or anything i feel so much better i will have to let you know as time goes on
  • Posted

Hello - I have never used a forum like this before either but your story touched me.  I would recommend reducing sugar intake to <5%.  i was diagnosed 4 years' ago and researched the disease.  a book was recommended called 'win the war within' by floyd h chilton. it can be heavy reading but it explains the link of sugar feeding the arthritis and exacerbating the symptons.  if you are not on medication this may help.  it did wonders for me and i lost weight too.  i hope this helps you as it did me.  stick with the book and get through all the technical stuff (which you need to read to understand how/why the disease affects you in different ways) and then it will lead you to the food that is good for you.  you'll be surprised - don't eat salmon unless it's in a tin! i="" was="" diagnosed="" 4="" years'="" ago="" and="" researched="" the="" disease. ="" a="" book="" was="" recommended="" called="" 'win="" the="" war="" within'="" by="" floyd="" h="" chilton.="" it="" can="" be="" heavy="" reading="" but="" it="" explains="" the="" link="" of="" sugar="" feeding="" the="" arthritis="" and="" exacerbating="" the="" symptons. ="" if="" you="" are="" not="" on="" medication="" this="" may="" help. ="" it="" did="" wonders="" for="" me="" and="" i="" lost="" weight="" too. ="" i="" hope="" this="" helps="" you="" as="" it="" did="" me. ="" stick="" with="" the="" book="" and="" get="" through="" all="" the="" technical="" stuff="" (which="" you="" need="" to="" read="" to="" understand="" how/why="" the="" disease="" affects="" you="" in="" different="" ways)="" and="" then="" it="" will="" lead="" you="" to="" the="" food="" that="" is="" good="" for="" you. ="" you'll="" be="" surprised="" -="" don't="" eat="" salmon="" unless="" it's="" in="" a="">
    • Posted

Hi Caroline - Will definately try less sugar - although I LOVE sweet things so it'll be difficult!! Anything is worth a try - lots of people tend to say that the weather affects them too but I haven't found a pattern to that yet.  Book sounds interesting, will have a look :-) - thanks for your advice.  Anna.
  • Posted

maybe i am lucky so far i am taking  Sulphazalazine  witth no side effects so far but i found a steriod injection was the first thing i had after that my pain eased up but today my wrist has started to be painful so i will take painkillers good luck with everything there must be something out there to help you
    • Posted

and i have a very sweet tooth
  • Posted

Hello, I am not trying for a baby?! but I also have been diagnosed with it lately. I have a boy & girl both in their twenty's still my babies to me! I do know exactly how you feel though. I have it in my hands which curl up especially right one, into a ball, sometimes I have trouble straightening them. Have it in arms shoulder legs & starting in my feet. I have been a doer for others(my parents)& hate asking for help. Pain itself makes you tired, body's way shutting down.But can not sleep when I'm suppose to, as even with painkillers still hurts. I send all my best wishes to you I do know
  • Posted

hello i am not in your position trying for a baby RA is painful but for the past 2 weeks i have been taking Sulphazalazine  with no problems yet at the moment i do feel better but wait and see as time goes on good luck with everything my grand mother also had RA in the 1960s  and she was just given codine for the pain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.