New to GA - Any Success with Diet Changes?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello,

I was just diagnosed (biopsy) with GA last week.  I noticed the spots on my elbows about a week ago and was lucky to get into a dermatologist right away and have a biopsy done.  Unfortunately, the dermatologist and my doctor have not given me any treatment plan, really.   I asked about going gluten free and was met with "I wouldn't bother."  

I have been gluten free in the past though, so I think I will go back to it because it makes me feel better regardless of GA.  I also sent my hair allergy test kit in today, so hopefully I get something useful from that.  Is there anything else I can do?

Also, I have had many spots pop up on my hands quite literally overnight.  They are irritated when touched or pressed, which is an issue because several are on joints and obviously I move my hands a lot.  Does anyone else deal with this?  I would say it's painful, but it's very light/not severe pain.  It's mostly just annoying.  

It seems like the spots are just randomly coming and going from several areas of my body: my elbows, hands and tops of my feet mainly.  Does this happen to anyone else?  On my elbows, one day they are bright red, the next a dull brown; one day the bumps are quite pronounced, the next not as much.  It seems like they are changing way too quickly based on other posts I've read here.  

Finally, is has anyone here seen real success with diet changes?  Anything else that has worked?  Probiotics maybe?  

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have tried several diet including gluten free with success. I just took my second dose of monthly antibiotics but no success yet. Very frustrating. I have it for 2 years and nothing has worked so far. 😕

• Posted

Another Update

I finally got the results from my blood test last Thursday and I saw my doctor on Friday.  The blood was drawn when I still had GA on my elbows.  It revealed that I had high liver enzymes (way high), high copper and also revealed some other concerning stuff. sad  I don't know if or how that might be linked to the GA, but the GA is totally gone.  

I had to have another blood test done to see if we get the same results.  I'm hoping they are different/better now since the GA is gone and so is some significant stress.  I started working out and my daughter is sleeping better, so I'm sleeping better.  I guess I'll find out eventually... it took forever to get the results of the first blood test, so I really hope this one doesn't take as long. 

• Posted

nikki i am glad you got rid of it. i have ga for 9 months now. i have been told it will go away by itself but it keeps growing bigger. i have hashimoto's auto immunesyndrom and have never suffered from eating wheat but was encouraged by your post to start eating gluten free. my dermatologist says it is not an auto immune disease , but i will try nevertheless. is your ga gone for good?

• Posted

So far, yes.  I have no signs of GA at all right now.  I really believe that this has to do with inflammation as the root cause.  
  • Posted

I have had great result taking Hesh Karela & Neem Extract which you can buy online or health shops. I went to several dermatoligists and told there was no cure and given steroid based creams which I was not happy with. I went to an alternative health consultant who advised me to take a capsule in the morning and early evening, to avoid milk, chocolate, sugar, bread, spinage, lemon, oranges and grapefruit. I now only eat gluton free bread avoid sugar completely and also drink green tea. Whenever I forget to take capsules it flares up but once I take them again it vanishes. Its been incredible because I had it all over my arms top of legs hands and feet and it just kept spreading. The capsules of Karela and Neem have worked for me and I really didn't expect to have such brilliant results. I think its trial and error regarding what you can eat because I know that certain foods make it flare up eg anything tomatoe based, like ketchup or sauce, also milk. I have totally had to give up on chocolate and cakes but can get away with black chocolat in small amounts. Have substituted non salted cashew nuts for snacks and natural greek yogart with mango seems to be ok. I think everyone may be different so you just have to take note what makes it flare up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.