New to Gabapentin and I WANT TO GET OFF (almost 1 week of taking it)

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am a 20 year old male, and my orthopaedic surgeon prescribed me 300mg of gabapentin to be taken twice daily to treat my sciatic pain. I am approaching day 7 (started 9/23), and I've been noticing side effects that seem to get worse every day. I started off this academic year more motivated than I've ever been in my entire life, and that all went downhill once I started gabapentin. I have some serious brain fog, and I've lost a lot of motivation to do anything in general. I've been feeling really sad and 'dull'. Often times, my moods would swing between being irritated or depressed. This makes it worse because I also believe that I have depression ever prior to taking the medication.

I really want to get off of this immediately. I feel like I've been getting worse everyday, and I've been feeling like sh*t. Although I am planning on calling my doctor tomorrow, I would like to know your thoughts! Will I be able to stop without getting withdrawals because I'm still new to the medication and considering the dosage? Will I ever be back to normal? Life isn't looking so good right now through the lens of gabapentin, and I feel like nothing is going right.  Please drop some knowledge below!

-Best,

Fellow Gabapentin Patient

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am going through the same thing and looking for answers as well. If you come across any please let me know as well. I feel as though I want to just kill myself from this I can't take this any longer.

• Posted

Hi johnny

What is causing your sciatic pain mate? You will need to give the gab a little longer to get into your system took mine about 3 weeks then the side effects seem to settle down. May be you need to give them a little longer. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.