New to Gabapentin want advice

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have  spondotheisis grade 1 and have had a disectomy and cage in my neck. I have pain in my hands, arms and lower back all the time at varying degrees.  I have been taking Naproxenn, tramodol, co drydomol for approx. two years and was worried about the side affects of taking these long term.  I spoke to my GP and he has prescribed Gabapentin as an alternative. I am a little worried about starting, is 300mg  very high does. What can I except when I start them and will it affect me working?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am on 100mg of it and have been very dizzy and feeling sick. I've been on it for 4 days at 3 a day
  • Posted

Every person is different.  I've been taking Gabapentin for 11 years due to intense nerve pain in my legs and feet after a spinal chord fracture (L3) during an auto accident.  I started off at 600 mg three times a day but now take 1200 mg because my system has developed a tolerance to it.  While I've experience few symptoms, others have felt varying levels of feeling spaced out; some don't feel connected to their body; others feel worn out; yet others say gabapetin doesn't work for them.  You'll just have to try it out for a while to see how it affects you, if at all.  

Even though I've experienced no side effects since using Gabapentin, I'm still concerned about taking such a high dosage.  So, my doctor put me on Tramadol last summer so that I don't have to keep increasing Gabapentin dosage.  It was initially very effective and I reduced my Gabapentin dosage, but the Tramadol has gradually been less effective over the year.  What has been your experience with Tramadol? Any side effects? 

• Posted

Mark when I took tramodol I experienced some of those symptoms you have spoken about. I felt very light headed , like I was drunk but would also feel sick, the pain would subside at first but then  it would return to a dull ache in the background again. I guess it just did not suit me.  I hope it goes well for you.  
  • Posted

Stump, did you start of slow? I am still un sure about taking it, I think it is going to depend on my level, it  varries from day to day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.