New to group

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I've just found this group, I wish I had found it before my op as it gives a wealth of information. I had my THR on 14th Feb, The operation had been put on hold for about 4 years due to different reasons so I was relieved to have it finally done.

The operation was done under spiinal aneathetic and took 2.5 hours the reason being, I was told afterwards, was due to a trainee surgeon undertaking the operation. Unfortunately the spinal wore off towards the end of the op and the last 10 minutes were very uncomfortable. I was given the option of being put  to sleep but refused due to my sleep aponea.

Regardless of this the nursing staff and physios were brilliant and I felt very positive about my recovery and was discharged 17th Feb.

My problem is since coming home I have slept on and off most of the day. A thing I didn't do in the hospital. I can't even say this is due to pain relief as I have only had the pain meds I was on prior to going into hospital, refusing morphine, again because of my sleep aponea.

Just wondered if others had suffered with this and advise please on how to deal with it.

Also my operated leg seems to be falling outwards when I lay in bed, is this normal?

Thanks confused

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I slept all the time for about two weeks, and I still sleep a little more than before the op (15 weeks ago). It's a good thing. You heal fastest when asleep because your body can use its energy on healing alone, not doing other stuff. 

• Posted

Good  morning beth, your comments make sense, thank  you for taking the time to reply.

I wont feel so guilty, or worry there is something wrong now, and not fight the urge to sleep during the day.

When I'm asked why I have fallen asleep AGAIN I shall just say "I'm healing" lol

Take care chrizzy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.