New to group

Posted , 13 users are following.

1week post op. I knew it was going to be painful however I did not expect it to be constant. I thought it was only me who had problems at night but from what I can see most of you are having difficulty sleeping. Can't sit, lie. Stitches out next Monday n physio on 31st. Not sure how much I should try n do or if I am doing damage. It's all very depressing. Can't wait to say it's 12 weeks post op. Also just diagnosed with osteoporosis. I am 53 so but scared what mobility n old age has in store

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I know just what you are going through but keep up with the exercises you will only be in more pain. It is not a pleasant recovery. Mine is still stiff when i have sat and when I get up in the morning. I keep thinking it will be better tomorrow haha. Chin up.X
  • Posted

Dear Maura, I am 75, had s TKR 5 year ago and 1-10 weeks post op. First one , I remember the first 3 months ,although I did it have any pain, I was very stiff and hadn't expected that. I was deflated and d pressed. I turned a corner though after 3 months and the rest is uneventful since all is well. This one has and still is very stiff but I've adjusted to it. The pain is anywhere from 0-3. However, I took oxcycodone for almost a month with Tylenol at night to sleep. Constpation got me off the oxcycodone. I have always iced . I hope you are also. Please do your PT exercises. That and icing will get you through. Oh, take your pain meds and if you become bowel slow, take a laxative.?Good luvk

• Posted

Bless you Maura, I remember feeling exactly like you. I'm now almost 7 weeks post op and things are better than they were but still some days are bad. I had another crying day today, it's mainly because I feel so useless and can't get my bend past 103 as it feels like if I did my knee would burst!

My appointment with my consultant is next Thursday so I'm crossing my fingers that he says all's ok and these pains and stiffness are normal for my stage. 

Chin up my lovely, no one apart from fellow TKRs can even come close to imagining how painful and depressing this massive op is.

Big get well hugs xx

• Posted

Hi I had left tkr Feb 2015 right Nov 2015. My left took a lot longer than my right. Left had awful swelling. I can honestly say that it was the best thing I have had done. I walk around 10 miles every other day. My bend is fantastic. I like you felt at the time I would never get better? My advice is do all exercises gently 3-6 times a day. Exercise is the key to recovery. WOnce you are recovered you do forget the intensity of the pain. Good luck x
  • Posted

Like my surgeon said, don't let the pain get ahead of you. I was prescribed pain medication ever 4 hrs., so we set a timer to wake me up during the night. This helped to keep the pain under reasonable control. Ice, ice, ice! Every hour for 20 minutes for the swelling & inflammation. Do your PT.

It's very important. Things do get better. I'm 3+ weeks out, had a setback with sciatica but won't cave in & you won't either. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Maura,  I just want to encourage you that you will feel a difference every day past 2 weeks.  The 1st 2'weeks is challenging.  I am 2 months a feeling really good.  The sleeping takes a little longer than 2 weeks but that too gets better.  Hang in there.  You will be glad you had the surgery.

robin

• Posted

Hi Mary,

Lotherwise of good advice on here, check out Chicos links.

It does get easier you are early days. Important to take pain medication and do your exercise regime gently at first building up. You just have to work through that. It's a no brainer major op major rehab!! However you will get to the stage where the exercises help the pain and stiffness. and I found doing a set 2 hours before bedtime helped. Ice and elevate often. Sleepless nights part and parcel it's hell but work your way through.gets easier week 8 for me.

I am now nearly 14 weeks post tkr and am thankful for a stable joint you will get there.. Discuss your concerns regarding doing damage with your physio and make sure you are happy with the exercises. They should ensure you are doing them correctly and tell you how far to push. Remember you will only have a few physio sessions and you have to keep it up and more after. There will be ups and downs.

Don't worry about your future mobility concentrate on the now. Osteoporosis is common and they've diagnosed itv and there are good medications for it. It is good you have had your knee done as weight bearing exercise is good for that. I know it's hard not to panic but deal with now and invest in the future has always been my mantra (RA since 23 years ups and downs now 56 still mobile )

All the best and let us know how you get on

Jan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.