New to group but had acid reflux for around 9 months

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All

I started with what was eventually diagnosed as Acid Reflux around September last year.

When I first went to the doctors he put me on a dose of Omeprazole (probably around 40mg but dont quote me on that) gradually by the end of the year getting down to 10mg , which is what I am on now. This apart from a blip over Christmas with rich food and beer has seemed to be working.

However two weeks ago we attended a wedding which usually equals rich food and beer and you would be right.We attended over a full weekend staying over and eating in the Hotel restuarant on the Friday night.It wasn't until the middle of the night that I started with heartburn,something I hadn't really suffered with since the start to this extent.It came and went , I keep taking my 10mg then everything is fine again.That was until the Saturday night after the wedding when it flared up again.(So ok rich food and beer, theres the problem) It again cleared up.

Last weekend we were out again eating and drinking, I am still feeling the effects I think.

I am not one who goes out every weekend by the way, far from it although it might read like that.

So where I am at present

I am taking 10mg Omeprazole

I have had a couple of bouts of heartburn over the past few days but nothing major.

I have got the horrible sour taste in my mouth every morning.

A slight sore throat that comes and goes through the day.

A dull sort of ache ( not even a pain ) in my stomach.

2 or 3 sleepless nights over the last week.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have just made an appointment to see my doctor again but there are a few things to learn from this.

Watch what you eat and drink,when you eat and drink and how much you have.

• Posted

Are you taking ant inflammatories Wayne?

Or is it just diet related, also have you been on a diet and lost weight.

I'm only asking this because years ago, I had exactly the same problem, and after a barium X-ray, they discovered the valve at the top of my stomach wasn't closing properly and letting acid come back up, the burning was worse at night lying down, and I had to keep getting up and walking around in the middle of the night.

This was down to the fact that I'd been on a diet and lost a lot of weight very quickly, the valve hadn't adjusted.

I was put on a drug to reduce acid in my stomach,cimetidine.

It wasn't a PPI like Omeprazole,Mobutu it worked for me.

Hope you get it sorted out, you should be able to have an odd blow out at a wedding without suffering afterwards.

• Posted

Mobutu??

should be but,

predictive txt!

• Posted

Hi Laura

No I haven't been on a diet , I am a steady 10.5 stone and have been for years.

I agree with the blowout but too much of a good thing over 2 weekends probably took its toll.

• Posted

Probably, though acid reflux can be awful. Maybe your GP will try you on a different drug, my problem just settled eventually either time, hope your's does.

• Posted

Hi Wayne,

What you are dealing with is called GERD. You have to change your lifestyle to get rid of it. U will get thousand of articles about it over Internet and lifestyle suggestions also.

Check it out

• Posted

the above post is right, this is GERD, or GORD as I would call it in the UK. Omeprazole is an excellent drug, and you could mabe do with a dose incease, but isn't the complete solution, diet and lifestlye is. it's worth getting under control to avoid more serious complication further down the line.

best wishes

aa

• Posted

Did you ever feel sick Wayne, before or as you were on the meds
    • Posted

No not at all but over the last few days I have had a dull ache on & off in my stomach. It's an odd sensation with a little of a sicky feeling but not as when you have a normal stomach upset that makes you sick.

My doctor has told me to double my dosage for a week or so to bring me back to normal.

Still suffering a little but sure I'll be fine when the tablets kick in again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.