New to group...?? Diagnosed with ??? Diverticulitis

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, and thanks for this forum.  I’m 65 y/o...had gastric and duodenal ulcers with several bad bleeds about 30+ years ago.  Had surgery and no further troubles with ulcers, only an occasional gastritis flare.  4 years ago had a routine colonoscopy which showed some diverticulosis and a few small, benign polyps.  Never have had any GI symptoms in last 4 years.  Now this past week I initially just didn’t feel well...vaguely nauseated, abdomen a bit tender...thought I just had a “bug” and it would pass.  Then last Tuesday I came home from work early, feeling weak and very nauseated.  Threw up dark blood and clots, followed by tarry diarrhea with some red blood in it.  Went to the ER and was admitted to our small community hospital...dehydrated, hgb 9.  Given IV fluids and taken for EGD Wednesday morning...which was “normal” with a biopsy taken.  About 2 hours after the EGD had more bloody diarrhea....was running temp of 99-100 through all of this and lower abdomen was getting more tender.  So my internal med doc called the GI doc back for a colonoscopy that afternoon.  Unfortunately the GI doc was on his way out of town so they decided to watch me...hgb reported as 10, 9, then 8. The next morning my internal med doc came in and complained to me that my symptoms of vague pain and nausea “didn’t help him.”  He then put in a call to a different GI doc and basically told him that I had a dx of diverticulosis from 4 years ago and he didn’t think I needed to be scoped again now. (My hospital room was right across from the nurses station and I could overhear his conversation.)  He decided to feed me and watch me.  This morning the nurse came in after the 6am hgb to tell me it had fallen to 7 and I was to be transfused.  An hour after that my internal med doc came in and said my hgb was actually 9 and I was “stable” and he was discharging me to follow up with him in a week and the 1st GI doc in 2 weeks.  And he was sending me home on Cipro and Flagyl.   So now I’m home...still feel weak, a bit dizzy on standing, still vaguely nauseated and still with some lower abdominal tenderness.  I’m not sure of what to make of my experiences this past week...don’t really feel a lot of confidence in what I’m being told but don’t know what else I can do...this hospital and doctors are the only ones in any reasonable distance. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should cope/manage things?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Edited

That’s horrible, you poor lady, My Drs are clueless also. I would do liquid diet for at least 3 days, give colon a rest. You can go to the Mayo Clinic diet for DD to start. Take a probiotic, drink lotsa water and beef bone broth for nutrition, jello , Gatorade pedialyte and teas. Tylenol and heating pad. I’d definitely get a colonoscopy and Cat Scan with dye. Surprised they didn’t take vomiting and poo with blood more serous. Did they check your white blood count? Now what I learned was I had to find out on internet and this site exactly what I was dealing with and advocate for myself to Drs on what tests I needed done. This is a great site for learning and getting suggestions. Best of luck. The antibiotics will make you feel worse so get rest, drink lotsa fluids and no food for now. 🤗🙏

• Posted

I'm so sorry nannie that you didn't get answers I can't offer any advice I have not had any expulsion of blood I'm taking same antibiotics as you are and there making my abdominal pain worse nausea worse and dizziness I googled both of them it said no dairy while taking them and it said ginger tea may settle stomach I wish you nothing but the best I hope your doctor's will figure it out and you start feeling better 🍁

• Posted

Hi there, get a journal and wite down what happend from the start until now and keep writing moving forward, making sure to note dates and times and Dr.'s names, what you are drinking and eating and symptoms. Stay on a bland diet, maybe even liquid, soft..Drink lots of broths..For a couple days. Stay bland,low residue for a while until things resolve..Hopefully they are right and it will pass, if not keep journaling, stay safe, stay hydrated, keep in touch with family or a close friend who can help advocate for you with the doctors, and make sure to go back in if you feel worsening symptoms. That I think is the best you can do, rest up and I hope you feel better soon! This is a nice board to bounce ideas, questons, and just vent when you need to, good luck!

• Posted

Hi nannie,

I also really feel for you, especially since the doctor doesn't seem to have much of a clue.  I agree with all the other comments, especially about writing everything down.

Also watch out for any tenderness or stiffness of pain in your joints and tendons, especially your Achilles.  If you read the leaflet wit the Cipro it says it should be used with caution in over-60's, especially if you have any history of joint or tendon problems. If you do get pain or tenderness (or even heat in any areas) stop taking the Cipro and tell your doctor.  This can be very serious and many have been seriously damaged by this antibiotic.  There is a section called fluoroquinolone antibiotics here on this forum  if you want to find out more.  Sadly this group of antibiotics are very popular and effective - but are really strong and can cause all sorts of other trouble.

As a precaution I definitely suggest you take probiotics as these are the good guys that your gut desperately needs but the Cipro will kill them off along with the bad guys.  Try to take a good variety, i.e. capsules and live yoghurt.

Best wishes for your recovery.

• Posted

Thanks for the info about Cipro.  I’ve looked it up on multiple sites and read all about its bad side effects and decided to just finish out the Flagyl Rx.  I’m certain that decision won’t make my int med doc happy as he doesn’t like to be questioned.  But, it is my body.
    • Posted

I think you should finish them both ... got to get rid of the infection... I know it is hard.
  • Posted

Where can I find the Mayo Clinic DD diet?
    • Posted

If you Google mayo clinic diverticulitis diet it will come up nannie I'm on my third round of Cipro Flagyll antibiotics in 9 weeks time My GI says it takes the 2 working together to b effective I am sick as a dog I feel the antibiotics make it worse but you have to rid the infection The choice is of course yours I hope you start feeling better

• Posted

I am so sorry for your terrible experience. Sometimes you do wonder if the doctors know what they are doing.....I hope you are better. Are you still on the antibiotics?  I found that the smell of peppermint oil and a slice of fresh lemon, just smelling those, got me through some bouts of nausea.    Also there are ginger candies ( they have them at Target)  - sucking on them helps with nausea.     And Popsicles .    Get better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.