new to having uc.

Posted , 9 users are following.

This week I have been diagnosed with uc. It has hit me hard but just

wondering if there was and advice on dos and fonts to help me through

these symptoms. Will be nice to chat to people who understand what my body is going through and ask real people rather that just quotes.

Thanks

Stevie x

3 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear it, I'm a year in...

Med's work for some...but they have side effects and take time. Read as much as you can, for me diet helps... Check out breaking vicious cycle boom and professor John Hunter books...for IBS symptoms the FODMAP diet is recommended also. Only do diet with doctors agreement...

Vitamins, relaxation etc cam cant hurt!

Best of luck... It's all slow fixes I'm afraid...

• Posted

There seems to be more and more people with this disease.its awful it's hit me hard also.its nice to know there are other people with it and ready to help you on here.i went on loo 6times this morning you think there can't be any more left in me.and I have tummy ache.just took Imodium hoping it will end
  • Posted

Hi Dottie

Sorry you have this uc, it is managable with the right medication, My wife Marie was diagnosed with uc and is currently on 2 or 3 different sets of tablets for it.

It is a good idea to talk to others about it then you can get support and advice which always helps.

Please keep in touch with us and let us know how you get on with it. Good luck for now.

Jon and Marie 13689

• Posted

Can you tell me what she is on please.cant seem to get mine right.
    • Posted

Hi Barbara,

Thank you for your reply, Marie is on predisolone, octasa steroids, and adcal. Check with your GP before you take these as everyones system is different.

They do actually keep these flare ups at bay she does not have to many, we will know more at our next appointment in march at JPhospital gorleston in great yarmouth.

Hope it is helpfull to you, good luck

Jon and Marie 13689

• Posted

Thankyou Jon I am only on 1enama at night salofalk .never slept a wink last night for diareah does Marie sleep ok.havnt had a good nights sleep since June.mmust get more pills sorted x
    • Posted

Hi Barbara,

Yes marie does sleep ok at times she was taking pentasa which I had to give her as its easier and it seems to hold it at bay, see your gp and try and get some but remember every one is different good luck.

Jon and Marie 13689

• Posted

I have to go with ibdhell and the diet. I use Paleo but there are many different ones you can try(heard good things about the scd diet). Diet has been the biggest thing for me and have at times gone two years without symptoms and without having to take medications. Alcohol is a very big culprit along with sugar at least for me, so I avoid those like the plauge.

Patience while difficult is part of it as by the time you get diagnosed your body has taken quite a bit of damage so both medication and diet will take time to start working while your body recovers.

It can be stressful so try to find something that relaxes you be it reading, yoga anything that keeps you sane.

• Posted

I was diagnosed 10 years ago at the age of 18 I took it really bad and stopped doing everyday things like walking to the shops! With in time my confidence grew and I have traveled the world twice since!

the best advice I can give is Do not let it stop you from living! It takes time but it's an illness we will have for the rest of your life once you come to terms with your medicines get out there and enjoy life! 

When I suffer flare ups I do slow down and hold myself back from time to time especially when I n others no toilets around but I push myself and feel great when I do something. 

good luck with it 

• Posted

I was diagnosed with uc November last year, it's really hard but, it's good to do things that distract you from it, so you don't go insane!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.