New to heartburn, but scared to take Omeprazole

Posted , 8 users are following.

A little background as I'm new to the experience of heartburn.

Just recently within the last year have I began feeling heart burn symptoms. Back in June I had some burning in my chest that ended up radiating to my back in between my shoulder blades. It eventually went away. As I had began to feel it around the same time i experienced my first unbearable anxiety attack.

but just a few days ago I began to feel it again, and quite intensely. Some burning in my chest, but mainly a burning in between my shoulder blades. It's been hell. I managed to get into a doctor at my regular doctor office, instead of doing urgent care or the ER, but he tells me he feels like it's heartburn. He proceeds to write me a prescription for, as he puts it, a high dose of Omeprazole (40mg) tells me to take it for the next month, if things aren't better or are getting worse in the next two weeks to come in. Long story short, I've read, and heard some scary things about Omeprazole and I'm not sure if i really want to go that route immediately. I haven't started taking them yet, and yesterday the burning was really bad, but has subsided today. I'm 24, and already a type 1 diabetic, so I want to take good care of myself, but I'm scared of taking Om. and getting worse other symptoms from taking it in general.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Omeprazole is fine short term i think thats what it is really used for is short term use. ive been on and off it for the best part of 2 years and only side effects were mild fpgfy head and constipation but a laxative can sort that out. best to try it of the docs thing you need it, especially if you are struggling with the acid! have you changed your diet to try and help? im 26 so i can understand why its frustrating for you being so young and dealing with acid reflux or heartburn, i think its our bodies way of telling us we aren't kids anymore!

• Posted

I am sorry you're going through some health issues. As far as I know omeprazole is o.k. for a short term. It's better that you take it because you don't want the situation to get worst. Below are the steps that are helpful:

• Try to eat smaller meals. Your last meal should be 3 to 4 hours before bedtime.
    • stay away from spicy, fatty and acidic foods.
    • Sleep on the wedge.
    • Do yoga and meditations to calm your anxious mind. Anxiety can excacerbate your heartburn.

If you do have acid reflux, I think these steps might help you to recovery.

Best of luck to you!

• Posted

good choice don't take those s**t. trust me you will regret it . go natural , control your diet , do some exercise and yoga. i am 28 and if there is anything i regret in my whole life is taking those damn pills

• Posted

could you elaborate on why you regret taking the tablets? ive always wondered if they made my condition worse with long term use and wanted to find out if anyone else felt the same!

• Posted

I've just heard bad things about taking them long term, and the fact you have to get wiened off of them, and long term for females it messes with our bones. I've always been one to want to do things more naturally. But if it doesn't get better I may have to use the pills

• Posted

From what I heard PPI absorps your b12, weaken your bones and etc. These things only happen if you take them more than a year. I know some people take ppi and are on diet for a month or two months, their acid reflux are gone. Being exposed to acid reflux for a long time can lead to esophagitis, barret and so on.

• Posted

hi you should be ok taking them for a month at that high dose THEN ASK FOR A LOWER DOSE FOR A WHILE THEN CUT OUT AND SEE IF YOUR OK WITHOUT IT

• Posted

I am a 24 year old male. I was diagnosed with GERD two years ago. It took me a long time to find the right meds. Some have weird side effects. I finally landed on Dexilant 60mg and it has changed my life. Not saying it is right for you, but don't get discouraged if you do not notice improvements right away with meds.

• Posted

Thank you all so much for all the responses! the weird thing is for me with this heart burn the only symptoms I have is almost purely the burning in between my shoulder blades/ occasionally burning in the chest. Is this normal? Because I'm not experiencing any acid reflux type stuff, like the acids coming up in the esophagus.

• Posted

I think everyone is different with symptoms so probably normal to have some but no others, i dont get any pain between shoulders or in chest just very bad reflux and stomach ache. I didnt have any GERD symptoms before i took Omeprazole I only took them for nausea cause by stress and anxiety. now stress, nausea and anxiety are gone but coming off Omeprazole has left me with gerd symptoms. I have also got a small hiatal hernia so this probably doesn't help!

• Posted

I can relate with you. Burning between shoulder blades / upper back is my main symptom as well . I have been taking omeprazole 40 for the last 3 months and see no relief. Not sure if this helps , but atleast there is someone else who has similar symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.