New to hernia - some questions.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I'm a hernia newbie so have no idea what it's all about. I have a couple of questions - why can't I feel it? I'm pretty slim but neither see or feel a bulge! Also I find that if I carry a bag or certain twisting or bending movements hurt in my lower and sometimes upper back - do other people have this? Wearing a bra hurts. I feel like I have pain on the inside and the outside, could it be something to with nerves? Thanks, Laura.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I don't think that most people have a bulge, with a Hiatal Hernia, is that what you have? A Hiatal Hernia is where the stomach, that is suppose to be below the diaphragm muscles with the esophagus going through the diaphragm muscles to the stomach, actually moves up above the diaphragm muscle. This doesn't usually cause a bulge and you can't really feel it either.

I recently had a lobectomy and I actually do have nerve damage and numbness and sometimes pain under my breasts and to my side from having that surgery, but I don't think that the Hiatal Hernia has anything to do with that.

Try a softer, loser, sports type bra and see if that doesn't help. That is what I have had to do, because of the surgery. As for the back pain, I don't know? That could be something totally unrelated to the Hernia?

• Posted

My major complaints with the Hernia are gas, bloating, nausea and heartburn.

• Posted

Hi Laura. when I had my hiatal hernia I could not wear a bra either. I could not see the hernia either. Now that I have had surgery to repair it, I can wear bras again.

• Posted

Thanks DeSalvo. What sore of symptoms did you have?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.