New to HS. Scared...

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I'm new to the forum and HS as well. I'm in my early 20's and got diagnosed early August 2020. ( so apprehensive to write a long story and no one reads it 😦, but if not here where else right? Also I tend to go off on tangents lol so I'll try to be as cohesive as possible)

My first experience approx 3-4wks (late June,early July) before diagnosis was just a painfully horrible experience I wouldn't wish on anyone, more so because of how wrongfully I treated it, ended up with seperate abcesses in each armpit,one partially healed the other inflamed . Went to my local GP and he diagnosed it right off the bat. Went home antibiotics in hand and read up about it, broke down in tears right in the kitchen, it was quite overwhelming. Antibiotics didn't do much but it significantly reduced the pain which made everything so much easier. Got a referral to get it removed at a hospital ended up with more antibiotics and other medications ( for my Eczema which was aggressive at the time and for the very first time broke out in my armpits surrounding the abcesses ).

So my instructions were

1. Wash with aqueous cream
  2. Use the emollient cream
  3. No fragrant anything (soaps, lotions, etc)
  4. No shaving or any kind of hair removal

So currently I'm sitting with what I think is scarring under one armpit and two jelly like painless lumps under the other, the Eczema surrounding both has reduced thanks to the hydrocortisone. I'm hitting out smaller pimple like bumps as well, like the pus pocket builds but it's small but the bump is bigger, inflamed and painful, they pop with warm compresses but it's almost like it heals over regroup and builds again. One on my stomach healed as well as under my breast but it pigmented my skin and I can still feel a hard bump beneath ( I assume it's scarring?), I now have a similar second one 2cm next to it, one on my inner elbow, another below my elbow, beneath my armpit rib area, one forming on my upper thigh and bum. These are smaller but no less painful.

So I don't really have a lot of questions thanks to you lovely people on this forum. I've read about diets, supplements, alternative lifestyle changes and more but I'm still curious about some things. I might have read alot but I think I'm still ignorant on some things 😃 please help..

1. Have you ever had some occur in uncommon places? If yes where? For me common is armpits, groin, breast (female) and stomach. Also how severe has it gotten?
  2. In terms of Laundry and clothing, have you changed the kind of detergents you use? Have you changed the way you wash your clothing or sheets? I've read alot about changes for internal health but this I haven't seen.
  3. Have you switched to light and breathable EVERYTHING? Clothing. Socks 😃 etc
  4. My Eczema and HS seem to work slightly hand in hand with each other. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you try to minimize it..?
  5. Does application of hydrocortisone directly on an abscess affect an abscess?
  6. The smell. Is it the unremoved abscess or just my armpits? Currently not using deodorant until Eczema is fully cleared. It doesn't smell like my undeodorized or sweaty self, it's a different kind of smell or could it be the bacteria. If you understand what I'm asking please help.
  7. Is it necessary to have the jelly like lumps surgically removed? Will it dissolve with a HS lifestyle change/diet? Is it a high possibility it will affect other areas of my body?

I'm aware everyone has their own unique experience and no one HS is the same, so any feedback would be helpful and appreciated 😃

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

i'm so sorry to hear that you're having a tough time. it definitely helps to talk about it! everyone is different when it comes to HS in regards of what works and what doesn't. mine is in the groin area. i would recommend wearing loose fitting clothing. try to figure out if you have any triggers (one of mine is potatoes) and try to avoid them. a lot of people have posted that cutting out sugar has helped reduce their flare ups. i wash with hibiclens antiseptic wash in the area i get flare ups each day. it hasn't seemed to reduce the number of flare ups, but i have noticed that they aren't AS bad most months. i also use clindamycin wipes twice a day. not all medications work for everyone the same, but you should definitely discuss options with your doctor. try to find a doctor familiar with HS. when i have flare ups, i do hot compresses using hot tea bags (they seem to help a little with inflammation). i could go on and on, but like i said, different things work for different people. i hope you find some relief and find ways to manage your HS. hang in there and keep your head up!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.