New to hsv1 and confused

Posted , 2 users are following.

Ok so I had protected sex in January and got all the symptoms of herpes, all except for an actual OB which I guess with researching more having flu like symptoms is an ob. Anyway I had discharge, sore muscles and sore throat, tingling and burning, lower back pain, gritty feelings in my eyes, headaches for weeks and feverish. I thought since it was through sex it was genital but I ended up with a blister on my lips and bumps all over my face. Also, my face was super hot for like 2 months straight and that was super uncomfortable. I was on the hsv1 genital sites and I think I will get more of my answers here, sometimes it tingles down there but no ob yet which I am waiting for. I've been through all the emotions that there could be and I've come to accept it but now at this point how do I keep them at bay? I've seen lots about that lysine. Is there a difference between l-lysine and lysine or are they the same? Should I talk to my doc about trying it?

I still feel like it could be genital because of the sex in January but everything has happened on my face mouth and lips. What's everyone else's symptoms and how they deal with it?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

If you do believe you have herpes you should make an Gyn appointment and get tested for it. In the beginning stages it's really bad lysine probably will not help you. You will need a rx for valtrex. Your doctor will probably prescribe 1G a day until your symptoms subside. BTW I know all of this because I work at a doctor's office. You can have Hsv-1 and 2 at the same time. As far as the HSV -1 is concerned it's very hard to get under control. Do not aggressively wash your face with chemicals every day thinking it's going to make it better bc it will not. It will actually make it worse. Try to cleanse your face 2-3 times a day and put on a moisturizer to protect your face from the sun. Nothing helps to clear HSV1 when it's on your face in the form of bumps. Cold sores are easier to get rid of. Valtrex will lesson the burning sensation but your face will still erupt as per some on the forums on here. I am on this site because my boyfriend gets cold sores and I think he gave it to me. He probably thinks he gave it to me too because I complain about my skin problems a lot. I use to have the most clear skin in the world. People use to compliment me about how beautiful my skin is. Now I have black spots from where I squeezed bumps not knowing what they were. I just thought I had acne produced by a sudden bout of oily skin. I never actually had a blister but the burning and the bumps is enough to discourage me. I use to wear make up every day to cover it up but I think make up makes it mad some days so I haven't wore foundation in 3 weeks. My symptoms started a 3-4 weeks after I met my boyfriend which was in September. I didn't know he got cold sores until January when one appeared on his lips. Then I started doing research he could have kissed me and contracted it. I tried everything lysine, garlic, lemon oil, tea tree oil, vitamins and nothing works to clear it up. My opinion to you is to go to the doctor and tell them you have it so they can give you the meds immediately if you tell them you think you have they are not giving you nothing until your test results come back. Again, I work at a doctor's office. Invest in vitamins to boost your immune system. Pick at least 3 immune boosters and take them every day. Stay away from Turkey, wheat, caffine, and juice. Drink plenty of water. And please do not put any thing on your face that has steriods in it like hydrocortisone. It will make it mad right after you think it go better because the soreness went away.
    • Posted

Well this is sadly horrifying!! I've noticed my son has the same bumps on his face and if they never go away or get better that means I am absolutley f*****

After months of this happening to my body and lots of doctors visits (they couldn't wouldn't diagnose without sores but finally got a blood test) I was diagnosed with type 1. I had a round of valtrex a while ago and now my new doctor gave me a standing order of them for OB's but what does that mean if it's only ever on my face?

I used to have decent skin too. a little oily but not terrible, no acne issues, nothing. now these bumps that crust over and make my face flakey and dry. I don't put lotion on because I want to just leave them alone, also I do not pick at my face neither. I still use my face powder and eye liner but that's it.    Really? Nothing to make the bumps on the face condition better? I did think at some point they would go away but they don't and won't? that legit just killed me inside. If it would come and go I could live with that but they never go away?!?!?!?!? WOW.

And I know to take this info with a grain of salt but hearing other stories and how we all vary body to body, immune system to immune system but dang, nothing makes these better? I don't know if my doctor will put me on suppressive meds such as valtrex forever as i havent had a serious OB of sores besides bumps on my face... i don't know. this is all sad and confusing and kills me when I see my son and he has bumps on his face too.

I have since then seperated our clothes and towels when washing clothes, we use seperate towels completly, I don't kiss him or let him kiss me (which is really sad and heart breaking when we have always been really affectionate) We don't drink from the same cup or share anything. It's literally the most depressing thing I have ever gone through in my entire life. Plus having to deal with with life: I'm a full time student at a private college, I work full time with no time to do homework on the job, I am a single mom, and I'm a runner and train for marathons. Please believe this was not the time to have to go through something so very life changing and dramatic as this. Plus barely if any cures or supplements that will help????

Also I swear a lot and it's killed me to not swear a gazillion times in this post as I feel like screaming at the world in frusturation and no light in it at all.  sad

• Posted

And don't get me wrong, your info has helped. I haven't put any creams/steroids on my face. I don't mess with my face, I wash it in the shower and put on my powder and that's it for the rest of the day.

When I think they're going to subside they never do. it's been since january now... almost 5 months of these bumps on my face...

I've heard that some foods will trigger things but then again people on these forums said say just to eat whatever but again tha'ts person to person being varied on body to body function as well. IDK

• Posted

I'm not trying to scare you but I am just telling you from my experience. It's been since September (7 months)and it has not gotten any better for me. I tried everything you could think of and nothing. I always have somever type of reminder on my face that i have herpes. Like you said, as soon as you think its going to get better it gets worse. And nothing helps. I read on one girl post that the ointment form of valtrex is $7k. Which is highway robbery. I never had a puss bump on my face but a lot of shedding and a lot of tiny bumps on my face that wont seem to go away EVER. I break out on my cheeks, chin and forehead. I try not to squeeze the bumps open any more because usually nothing comes out and it would leave an uhly mark anyway. I see people starring me in my face at work. Inspecting my flaws with their eyes but i dont care. I know it's horrible, irritating, and a big inconvenience but we can't let this depress us any longer. Just like you I work, go to school, and I am s single mom who loves running marathons.
    • Posted

It goes in waves for me. Sometimes I'm ok with it and have accepted it n other times I'm freaked the f out. I've never messed w the bumps on my face and I'm good about not picking at my face. They make my face all dry like, flaky, and then it subsides but they're never fully gone. I can feel it in my eye too because sometimes my eyes get gritty feelings n sometimes hurt. I know that can't be good and I don't think there is anything to help for that. Do u think I should try the lysine? Is fish oil good? I'm on Valtrex now as I did a long run last wknd and my body was over exerted and by Sunday night I felt these feelings in my mouth like I wanna bite at the insides of my cheeks plus my mouth/lips get tingly. I was in the sunlight but it was freezing and a lil hot and cold (Minnesota spring, can be anything) I'm sure my body was dehydrated after running the 20 miles and I did eat some trail mix on the way as well so I think that could have brought it on too. So I'm on Valtrex for the next 3 days and I let my doc know because they always want a swab but I'm like there is nothing to swab...
    • Posted

Plus I'm really glad to hear that we have a lot in common. That's comforting.
    • Posted

Sounds like your outbreaks are way worse than mine so I am going to give you my daily regimen and you can copy it if you like.

8AM

2 Lysine

2 Womens One A Day gummy vitamins

2 Gummy Probiotics

1 Yeast Guard capsule

1 Garlic Capsule

1 Biotin with coconut

1 valtrex

Wash face with Aveeno Naturals if needed and apply a moisturizer to affected area only. I prefer cleansers that don't have sacilyic acid in them. To me that acid makes herpes mad. I do not cleanse my face every single day. More like 3-4 times a week. I went through a gazillion face cleansers until I found one that I like. You don't want to use anything that is too harsh on your skin. Read the ingredients if you don't know what they are then you should not use it. My number one choice for a facial cleanser is Black Soap because it's all natural but it's too messy for me to use and I prefer to squeeze my soap out of a bottle. I haven't found a moisturizer I prefer yet and I went through plenty. I recently brought Burt Bees night time moisturizer I don't really care for it to much so I apply my favorite lotion to the affected area, Nivea.

2PM

2 LYSINE ONLY IF I AM HAVING A BAD FACIAL DAY

2 MULTI VITAMINS ONLY IF I AM HAVING A BAD FACIAL DAY

8PM

2 Lysine

1 Garlic

TAKE A NAP * THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT

11PM

SHOWER- PLACE SEVERAL DROPS OF TEA TREE OIL ONTO WASH CLOTH BEFORE SHOWER.

APPLY TEA TREED TO AFFECTED AREA LET RINSE AFTER 1O MINS WIPE OFF THEN APPLY MOISTURIZER.

KEEP IN MIND THAT LYSINE DOESN'T PREVENT YOU FROM HAVING OUTBREAKS IT ONLY SHORTENS THE LENGTH OF TIME OF YOUR OB. NOTHING PREVENTS YOU FROM HAVING AN OB. IT'S WHAT YOU DO WITH YOUR BODY THAT SUPPRESSES THE SEVERITY OF THE OUTBREAK. INVEST IN VITAMINS. GET PLENTY OF SLEEP. EAT RIGHT. STAY AWAY FROM FOOD THAT'S HIGH IN ARGININE. DRINK of water.

• Posted

I bought super lysine which has garlic and another immunity booster in it. I've been drinking chaga straight from the tree (it's the mushrooms at the top of birch trees, ground down n ran through coffee maker) and that REALLY helped clear up my face... a lil bit because there r still bumps but over all has helped huge. I add in real maple syrup for taste as well. I got my son a chewy immunity booster as well. I'm on Valtrex as needed tho, not a daily regime.... yet...
    • Posted

You should tell your doctor you need it everyday to prevent you from having an unwanted OB.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.