New to hyperthyroidism

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have just been diagnosed with this illness through a bloodtest . I was initially given setraline for stress and panic which I'm still on . Can anyone advise what symtoms they had before they found out that they had this please x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi John,

Before I was diagnosed, I experienced unexplained weight loss, heart palpitations, muscle weakness and was always feeling hot. 

• Posted

Hi John,

Yes all of the above reply and also insomnia and  muscle weakness.  

• Posted

My thyroid was being monitored closely with TSH, Free T3 and T4 for other reasons and I began to see slight changes and then dramatic ones as my symptoms manifested.  I was experiencing emotional abuse from a coworker and I was experiencing a lot of anxiety because of this.  I did not lose weight perhaps because it was caught so soon and the symptoms did not last long before I was diagnosed and treated.  I think the most striking thing I had was a resting heart rate of 130.  Initially when I was examined by the Endo, she said your heart rate is 100.  I shrugged my shoulders because at 100 I still felt okay but there was a wait time before she finished all the testing and she gave me Propranolol to take before she finished her testing and started treatment with Methimazole.  I only took the Propranolol when I had symptoms of palpitations and she wanted me to take it daily.  That and restlessness, extremely dry eyes were all the symptoms I had.  My Free T3 and Free T4 normalized in the middle of the range when I was given 10 mg of Methimazole daily.  However, my TSH remained at less than 0.001 for two years.  As long as my Frees were mid range, that stopped the symptoms of palpitations, etc.
  • Posted

I really didin't notice much going on with my body.  I was hot all the time...but blamed hormones.  (I am a 53 year old female) I woke up several times per night hot and sweaty - again I blamed perimenopause.  my heart rate seems a little higher than usual on my fit bit.  I had stopped losing weight after losing 40 pounds eating a clean diet for 18 months. My brikram yoga class seemed to be getting harder for me as I was experiencing dizziness during class.  I woke up one morning seeing double and then googled my wrinkly fingertips and the search mentioned thyroid.  If anything, I would have my thyroid was underactive given family history and the lack of additional weight gain.  I went ahead and had a basic TSH test run and the number was <.006 and normal range is .450-4.5. 

• Posted

I don't really have any of these symptoms just bad anxiety feeling sick and lethargic so wondering if the thyroid problem is causing these symptoms or causing me to feel anxious. Any advice please

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.