New to Hypothyroid

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was recenly diagnosed with Hypothyroid... I've been doing a lot of research over the internet about antibiotics and side effects. I would like to know whats the best antibiotic I can use and if I'll lose weight on it. I have a 2 year old and since I gave birth I've been overweight. However, prior to having him I was a stick and now I work out and eat healthy but I cant seem to lose weight. My dr says that its because of my thyroid. I am really nervous and im not looking forward to taking medcation for the rest of my life.

TY,CC

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi carlota.

Can I ask you why you are researching antibiotics? I don't see how antibiotics can help with weight loss.  Weight gain can be a "symptom" of low thyroid hormone output. The thyroid is intimately connected with your metabolism - thyroid hormones regulate calorie comsumption.  A low basal metabolic rate = weight gain. Once you are on your thyroid medication and reach a point of feeling well again, you should see some weight loss, though not everyone finds this the case I'm afraid.  Being on medication for life is not something any of us relish but you learn to cope. 

Jennifer

• Posted

Hi Carlota

I know it feels daunting to need meds for the rest of your life but without them you will become increasingly ill. Your thyroid is an essential piece of equipment that connects to the whole of your body. I was wondering what you need antibiotics for? These are only used(sometimes too often) to treat infections. Underactive thyroid is not due to an infection. Its most often an auto-immune disease like lupus or rheumatoid arthritis. It can be made worse by stress. Weight gain is a common symptom of your thyroid not working well and often when your medication is correct you can start tolose weight. Cutting carbs is the most effective way.

• Posted

Hi there  Carlota, As an RN I never heard of antibiotics causing weight loss. I have heard of high thyroid levels helping. Most women get thyroid problems after pregnancy, and this is not clearly understood. I had it as a teenager back in the 1970's but it was not diagnosed until my mid 20's.   Some doc's think it is the stress on the gland during pregnancy and some feel an autoimmune problems is triggered by the pregnancy causing an attack on your thyroid gland and is called Hashimoto's Thyroid disease.  My aunt had that after pregnancy and you may have it in your family. Thyroid meds need to be taken daily and it's not so bad, you can live a good life despite having it. I am 54 and still kicking...LOL, I felt the way you do, OMG the rest of my life, but I need the med to keep the bad effects away.  We all get something in life,  we are not robots.  Please take the med and keep your bad symptoms from getting worse and it will help you lose the weight once you keep the level normal.  I lost 30 pound by walking.  Take it slow and then increase it.  I hope this helps.
  • Posted

Hi carlota,

Have a read of the thyroid uk website it will tell you more about your condition in a way that is easy to understand.  They have plenty of resources to help you as well. 

This is a condition that has many sides to it, and unfortunately you wil feel much worse if you dont take your medication.  Please note that most people start to feel normal again within 6 months, the weight will take longer.  If you have no other symptoms other than the weight gain then your gp has caught the condition very early before if has had a chance to exhast your adrenal system.

So you may find you get stabalised very quickly.  So not all bad.  There are lots of nice people on this site who can help you along the way and answer any questions that you may have as they have walked in your shoes so to speak.

Hugs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.