New to IBS & need all the help I can get please!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, as mentioned in the title, I've only recently been diagnosed with IBS, so I'm completely new to the forum & would appreciate any advice/help that anyone has to offer. Ive suffered with really bad bloating, cramps, gas and just a general feeling of being tied up in knots, for around 4 months. I suffer with Diarrhea primarily, (generally once every 2 months or so, it can vary), but the general stomach discomfort is something that I've really been struggling with. I've been taking the probiotic Biokult for a month and I can't tell as to whether or not this is actually doing any good, I've recently bought some charcoal capsules along with peppermint oil to try and ease the symptoms. If anybody has anything that they swear by for practically eradicating the symptoms/IBS entirely or even greatly improving it, then I'd really appreciated it if you could mention them!

(Also if anyone has any insight on either of the following, then please let me know, because in particular, I've been reading up on these things:

-Alflorex (heard good things about this probiotic in particular???)

-L-Glutamine

-Digestive Enzymes

-Cognitive Behaviour Therapy

(I'm an 18 year old female if that makes a difference 😂 Thanks in advance!)

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi, check out the FODMAP DIET online, lots of info, it's lists foods likely to cause problems, and foods that should be ok, you could try Turmeric, the 95% curcumin Turmeric with piperine is probably the best, Turmeric is said anti inflammatory help, hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi there! I've heard about the FODMAP diet before and it's definitely something I'd like to look in to more. My understanding of it is that it's an exclusion diet that lasts for around 4 weeks, and then foods are reintroduced to see the triggers?? Generally, I find that I go through phases of being able to most foods without any side effects , and then all of a sudden a flare up occurs & I can't pinpoint it down to a certain food in particular! So frustrating 😢 But thank you for the suggestion of turmeric, not heard of that one before, so I'll give it a go!

• Posted

Hi, have you had a colonoscopy to diagnose IBS, and was you tested for coeliac disease, and h pylori ?.
    • Posted

Hi, I've been tested for coeliac disease and H. Pylori - both came back as negative. I'm seeing a gastorenerologist in June, so I'm presuming a colonoscopy will be organised. In the meantime, my Doctor is pretty much convinced it's IBS, as am I, but I haven't been given any treatment in the meantime to help me with my symptoms - which is why I need all the help!

• Posted

Hi Meghan, the trouble with IBS is there is no real treatment, they usually find no cause, and things you try it's all hit and miss, things seem to work and then don't, I was diagnosed a few years ago, but I think I have a cause, I have a redundant colon, which means it's longer and with more twists and turns so I reckon my IBS is down to that, hope you find something that helps.

• Posted

Hi Martin, yes I completely understand what you're saying about there not really being a cure out there for IBS sufferers. I'm just curious as to whether anyone has found anything that has significantly improved their IBS-d symptoms, because I'm willing to try anything! As aforementioned, I've read up about digestive enzymes/L-Glutamine and different probiotics & I don't know where to start if I'm honest, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

• Posted

The Low Fodmap diet and or a food diary can help.  I take Buscopan and nurofen for pain and try to avoid stress.  Stress is my trigger.  CBT may help if you get very anxious. Imodium is also good for diarrhoea.
  • Posted

Hi , I find Windeze help me with the cramps pain .

I find Nurofen really harsh on the stomach.

• Posted

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your reply, I've never heard of Windeze before, so I'll give it a go.

• Posted

Hi, the peppermint you've used is it the enteric coated peppermint capsules? they are the one's you need.

• Posted

Hi, yes the ones that I bought are the eccentric coated capsules thankfully! I didn't know that these were more preferable, but have bought them regardless.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.