New to IBS, some questions

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

So after having several phone consultations with the GP, they have said I have IBS.

I'm 35 years old female and just wanted to know if what I am feeling is typical of IBS.

For the last week I have had nausea most day, with lots of gas both burping and flatulence. My stools vary in consistency most days, from normal to looser. I also suffer with the feeling of incomplete bowel movement. Symptoms seems worse when on my period. (TMI)

Can you recommend anything for the nausea?

Is it normal to be given a diagnosis without any further tests like colonoscopy?

Many thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

i have the exact same symptoms like u, my period is approaching soon, everytime i poop i dont feel finish its irritating, i still dont really know how to handle it myself, 1st thing u need to do though is get a food diary so u know the triggers, start with low fodmap diet, the only gave u that diagnosed because he cant find nothing else, i had a colonoscopy and they didnt find anything so they diagnosed me with ibs, ibs cant be picked up on blood work, xrays etc, so its just a diagnosed, its sad but all we could do is control stress and try to eliminate the foods that triggers ibs, hope u fine relief, the nausea, i just deal with it honestly, maybe someone else can give u a in site. i would still demand to colonoscopy though just to make sure

• Posted

Thank you. I've had all my bloods done and a stool sample all normal.

My doctors really didn't want to give me one. I have asked. Did consider going private.

With the food dairy I can say I have eaten more chocolate on lockdown. I don't drink dairy anymore but do like chocolates.

I'll keep a diary from tomorrow.

• Posted

If you have a dairy intolerance, chocolate has dairy in it so this can be one of your problems. Also many cold cuts of meat have dairy in as well.

Ginger tea works quite well for nausea. Licorice root tea soothes the gut, relaxes it and helps to ease gas and bloating.

• Posted

very normal to not have a colonoscopy. your symptoms sound typical of IBS, and hormones from your cycle do make things worse.

natural remedies for nausea include peppermint or ginger. over the counter you can buy domperidone under the name motilum

• Posted

Thanks next time I go shopping I'll get some ginger and lemon tea

I'm giving all dairy up again today. See if that helps.

• Posted

you could be sensitive to lactose, milk protein or both, I'm afraid it's trial and error. give up dairy for a few days, see what happens, then try lactose free milk. you might find your ok with it. I have a problem with the milk protein itself, but can tolerate milk in tea. I use soya for my cereal

• Posted

I haven't drank milk in over a year. I have oat and cook with it. Still have a small amount of cheese occasionally and fat free cottage cheese which I cook with. But not much else as my son is dairy free so seems silly buying twice.

No chocolate today, no nausea.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.