New to kidney stones

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I'm a 25 year old female who only started experiencing the "excitement" of kidney stones in October of 2016. So only 3 short months. My first stone I ended up in the ER because I felt like something burst on my left side. I was in excruciating pain, I was vomiting everywhere, screaming, etc. worst pain I have ever been in. At the ER they did a urine test, blood work and a CT scan. They also pumped me full of wonderful drugs and IV fluids. The CT scan revealed a 3mm stone in my left kidney. They sent me home once my pain was managed with buscopan, toradol and a lovely screen to pee through. Anyways I went to do a check up with my family doctor at my hometown (I'm living away for school until April) and my doctor looked through the results and the blood work and said it all looked fine and that some people are just predisposed to kidney stones.

Now that my back story is out of the way I can carry on with today's story.

About 2 days ago I was in class and experienced the same extreme pain in my right side (last time it was my left), I was crippled. Then the pain went away and kept coming in waves throughout the day. I got fed up with it and went into a walk in GP clinic and explained my predicament and asked him to test my urine with the dipstick for blood, leukocytes, etc. he tested it and sure enough it came back with lots of blood in it, but no infection. He told me to take the buscopan and toradol and also gave me a form to take to the hospital to get a urinalysis done with a microscopic exam which I got done yesterday. So far I've been peeing through my screen and there's been no stone. My urine is still a darkish yellow color which worries me because so far today I have drank 3 liters of water. I haven't had no pain today (knock on wood).

My question is, do you think 3 months ago when they did my CT scan they would have seen a stone in my right kidney? How long does it take these suckers to form?

Also wondering, with my age and the fact I've had 2 not even 3 months apart, should I ask for a urine study? Should I be seeing a urologist for routine X-rays? What should I be doing to prevent this from occurring ?

If anyone has any help, or support or anything at all please let me know.

Thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I should also mention I passed the first 3mm stone a few hours after leaving the hospital. Stone number 2 is still up inside me somewhere.
  • Posted

I feel for you.

Yes you should see a urologist.

I keep getting urine infections , eventually one bright GP thought I might have a kidney stone.

Ended up at A and E they booked me an MRI scan a few days later.

Hosptail Dr was fairly sure it was a kidney stone there but could not be sure so referred me to a urologist.

GP also referred me to a urologist so I now have 2 different appointments with 2 different urologists at different hospitals. HELP.

I also have an appointment with another GP tomorrow.

Basically I don't feel unwell, just can't handle the pain in my right side.

Hope you get this sorted quickly.

Take care and keep in touch

Love Sarah xx

• Posted

Isn't it awful. I woke up at 4am this morning with severe pain. I'm at the hospital now, they went over my CT scan with me from October and told me that there's another 2mm stone in my left kidney along with lots of tiny stones. And a 2mm and 3mm stone in my right kidney with lots of little stones. I think it's horrible they didn't tell me that in October !!!. Waiting for my blood results back now. I'm going to see if they can give me some insight on where to go from here.

I also don't feel unwell. Just troubled by the pain and having to miss school because of this.

I hope seeing your urologist gives you some answers! Hope you feel better soon.

Brittany

• Posted

Thinking of you lots.

Don't worry about school at the moment just have a good rest.

Love and hugs.

Sarah xx

• Posted

Hope you are feeling better and back at school.

I saw urologist yesterday and I have an enormous kidney stone. No chance of either passing or blasting that so it will have to surgery.

Hope it happens soon.

Sarah

• Posted

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that you have to get surgery. I'm sure you will feel some relief once you do.

I spend 14 hours in the ER yesterday, 3 bags of IV fluids, morphine and toradol. Another CT scan, the stone has grown and is now 3.5mm and is at the uretopelvic junction. He said it should pass on its own, gave me medication also. He would go up and get it but said it could damage my bladder and ureter and cause swelling. Let's pray it passes soon!!

• Posted

You poor thing.

Praying for you that this will pass soon.

Take care and keep in touch

Love Sarah xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.