New to levothyroxin and could do with some advice?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been recently diagnosed with underactive thyroid.  I'm not sure of my levels and will certainly ask for my results.....However I've been put on 100mgs and due my follow up bloods in August.  I was due a shoulder operation but this has been postponed whilst my bloods level out.....

My only symptom (that I'm aware of) was tiredness and teary but I'm on citalopram for depression/anxiety so not sure if being teary was due to that.

Anyway, I'm a little worried because since being diagnosed I've been reading alot about thyroid and talking to people and now I've probably got too much info.  Someone told me that being underactive "just doesn't happen" - which I've read it does just happen like that sometimes.  And other people telling me that perhaps it could've been a blip and the GP should've adopted a wait and see approach..

I've read that being deficient in Zinc could be the problem so now I don't know what to do?  Should I question the doctor and ask if I've perhaps been put on meds too quickly and perhaps I could have a zinc problem?  But then how would I know?

As you can probably tell....my head is just rushing around with information and it's getting me down.

Other than the thyroid issue, im perfectly fit and healthy in every other way...ideal weight, sensible diet, exercise etc.

Thank you for anyone who can help reassure me.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi i was diagnosed with underactive thyroid 8 months ago and also on levothyroxine 75mg i felt anxious and low mood and tired all the time im taking citrilopram 10mg witch ive been on 8 months as well for anxiety i do feel alot better than i did but still get anxious days but can handle them better here if you wanna chat x
  • Posted

From what I have read, zinc deficiency alone is not a recognized cause of hypothyroidism. A more common cause is Hashimoto's disease where the immune system attacks the thyroid. You can be tested for this, the test is for antibodies.

Either way, it's probably not a blip, but you could ask to see an endocrinologist if things don't seem to be going well after August. 

The truth is that this is a difficult condition and people will tell you all sorts of things to try.  For now I would stick to the plan, but if you can get tested for antibodies right away, why not?   

I don't know if there is a test for zinc but if so then you could get that done too.

• Posted

Thank you both for your replies.

I think I've just been reading so much about the condition, I'm now overloaded with information and some of it contradicting, although one thing for sure is how common it seems to be.

my husband too said to stick to the plan and wait to see what happens in august and take things from there but I agree that an endocrinologist would be the way to go if I'm not happy.

another thing is that I feel disappointed that I now have this condition and I do worry how it will affect my quality of life or if it will lead to anything else in the future?

• Posted

Just to reassure you Seton. My mother was diagnosed with hypothyroid at 53. She had been ailing a long time and ended up with myxoedema. The doctor sent her for a blood test and she was put on 100 mcgs. She was very well after that for many years. Never had a major illness never went in hospital maybe a bit of the usual arthritis in her shoulders in her eighties and died at the grand age of 92. Her condition once treated never held her back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.