new to menopause

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi all ive literally just been told i going through menopause this week and new to this forum this being my first post,  I had a hysterectomy 15 years ago still have ovaries and to be honest never felt so scared in all my life of changes going on with my body,  the anxiety i find to be the scariest thinking every pain is a terninal illness and working myself into such a panic so i would be very grateful for any tips that can help with this thank you

lorraine

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I forgot to mention my HRT nurse told me your ovaries that are left die after 5 years which is why menopause starts.... They don't tell you that at the time of surgery 👎
  • Posted

hi everyone thank you so much for your replies it helps knowing im not alone and going mad.   I have just stopped taking that propranlol angela my blood pressure keeps dropping so low i think that not helping with the dizziness and fainting.  \i have just started with all the vitamins and milk and i am so grateful for everyones tips on what to try as im so in the dark here. 
  • Posted

hi everyone thank you so much for your replies it helps knowing im not alone and going mad.   I have just stopped taking that propranlol angela my blood pressure keeps dropping so low i think that not helping with the dizziness and fainting.  \i have just started with all the vitamins and milk and i am so grateful for everyones tips on what to try as im so in the dark here. 
  • Posted

his susan556 i can totally sympathise with you as i too think what if its not the menopause and the doctors are wrong.  my partner has to stop me goin to hospital everytime i get something i havent experienced before.  its so frustrating as previously i only went to doctors in extreme circumstances and had not been near a hospital since my hysterectomy 15 years ago but now i would quite gladly sit at docs all day and every day so he could check me over and it is so frustrating feeling like this x
  • Posted

I'm the same. Never been away from the Docs.  Back again Thurs as bladder playing up!!!!  Hope you feeling a bit better with all the lovely support and advice.  The anxiety is just dreadful.  I thought I had cancer at one point and also terrible feelings of inadequacy; just awful!!!!!  I take beta blockers and gave up caffiene. This has helped with the palpitations.  Exercie for me is a an alsolute must but dealing with constant injuries is a challenge; injuries which I laso believe are down to the meno!!!!  Never ending!!!!XXXXX
    • Posted

Thank you margaret for your reply what kind of exercise are you doin ive just startd doimg pilates not sure if should be doing more x
  • Posted

Hi all i hope everyone is ok today mine has surprisingly not been too bad but fatigue has hit bad along with pains in my legs. I have bought vitamins calcium n vitamin d are these the ones to be taking or do i need others i be very grateful for any input thank you x

Lorraine

• Posted

Glad to hear you are doing better today Lorraine. Funny, I am quite fatigued today as well. I guess it's a part of the ups and downs of this phase. Many take Vitamin B 6 and B12, also some magnesium. I take a B-100 Complex liquid x 2 day, as I also have IBS and it seems to absorb better than pills. I take a calcium/magnesium liquid as well. I see a Naturopathic doctor who has me on some supplements that are specific to me from blood testing as well. She also has me using progesterone cream during thse months I need it. This past year hasn't been many times. Maybe 2-3 cycles tops. 

Jay has some great advice when it comes to supplements. You will know what works for you.  Remember what works for one, may not be the right fix for another so please, experiment and see what makes you feel better. If you have the ability to see a Naturapathic doctor or have a really good vitamin shop close by with someone there who can recommend possible things that may help you, by all means go. 

Also, some women seem to find a long course of St. Johns Wort or SAMe to be helpful with the anxiety and/or depression that this time can bring on.

Wishing you the best and hoping your future will become even more brighter!biggrin

And please don't panic, but there will be those occasional odd blip days where it seems like nothing is working, those pass. Just went through a spell myself. 

Big Hugs to you!

Annie xxxx

• Posted

Thank u so much for your advice it helps so much x i forced myself to go out today tryin to do normal things paying for it now seems every bone is hurtin and im shattered . I wasnt sure if had to be calcium on its own and whether with vitamin was ok . I have ibs too and really constipated at min just trying different things as u say ann it trial and error and i am so grateful for your advice and help x
    • Posted

I'm glad you got out-it does help to push ourselves at times. Not to say I haven't turned the car around and headed back, but I feel much better overall out and away from too much quiet time to think at home!

Yes, that is one symptom I don't like. At times my body feels so old and just getting up and moving around takes some doing. I feel like my body (bones, muscles and such) need a good oiling as I feel so stiff and achy til I get moving. And I tire easily which bums me out a bit. 

I've got to start doing my exercises religiously SOON! I know it will help, while Yoga is good and I make an effort to drive there, I have a stationery recumbent bike I told my husband I just had to have (last fall) and it's still collecting dust. Would also help with my unwelcomed weight game. Baby steps I guess.

I don't think it really matters if you take them together, infact I think you need to take Vitamin D around same time as Calcium for better absorption. If anyone else knows, they will write in I am sure. But I believe my doctor (actually the one I see when the IBS goes totally amuck!) put me on the Vitamin D. One of the many benefits of living in the Northern Hemisphere! I don't know of anyone here that isn't on Vitamin D right now! But my older brother lives year round in Florida and he's also Vitamin D deficient and takes supplements! Oh well. 

I do hope you get some good rest this evening. So glad for the improvement for you! biggrin

Annie xxxx

• Posted

We poor women get it all dont we. I hope i sleep tonite too i feel like ive aged ten years already . Little bit anxiois as i go om holiday om weds n worrying boit things happening and family while im away but hoping some of it will benefit me and some sunshine will certainly help x
    • Posted

We sure do! I hope you slept well Lorraine.  

Funny, we're also getting ready for vacation, we leave on Sunday for 2 weeks in the Sunshine State! I hope the weather (oh it has to be really!) is better than here........gloomy snowstorms are taking their tolls on everyones spirits these days! Ready for a change of scenery!biggrin

Enjoy your holiday! 

Annie xx

• Posted

Ah thamk u i hope u enjou yours too . I been getting myself so anxious worrying bout everything and whether everyone be ok whem im away but trying not to go over the top. I had couple hours sleep thamk u and hoping sun will help with that too x i hope you have a nice relaxing holiday x
  • Posted

Hi there I do strength and conditioning exercise which involves weights and core work.  I also do some cardio. I am lucky I have a personal trainer.  The biggest positive is the boost to me emotionally.  I can go into the gym feeling totally rubbish and come out feeling great with symptoms gone for a while.  I do have to battle injuries but need to start taking omega 3 and glycosophine again(spelling)! If I did not have the gym I really don't know where I would be so very lucky it works for me!!!!! Hope everyone ok today.XXX
    • Posted

Hi Margeret!

That is one thing mentioned to me that might work and haven't tried. How long have you been doing the strength training  and core work? I really want to start something like this as I hope it would help 2 fold- body and the emotional boost. 

This has been like a catch 22. I've gained over 25 lbs this past without changing my eating habits and it depresses me to no going into the closet to see a bunch of lovely clothes that no longer fit. 

I have taken up yoga and while it helps somewhat I had to give up on it a bit as my back started having issues. Someone mentioned taking up pilates or do what you are doing to strenghten the back.

How long before you know it's working for you? I don't expect overnight results, but I'd like to look and feel good again. Glad to hear it works well for you!

Annie xx

• Posted

HI there, I have been working with a trainer on this kind of stuff for a bout 9 months.  I too have a bad back but with this kind of work it is 80% improved and that took about 3 months.  It was simply doing things like squats, lunges, sit ups, planks and TRX work. I had a set back at xmas as was so ill with the meno but I am back to it now.  It's worth a go I would say.....like I say if I could not train I honestly think I would go mad!!!!XXXX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.