new to methotrexate

Posted , 9 users are following.

I just took my 4th weekly dose of methotrexate and I am only up to 10 mg daily.   RA doc wants me to increase to 15 oor 20mg

Yesterday I had a temp of 101 with fever/ chills.  I want to continue on this med b/c supposedly it is the most effective but I just feel awful for a few days after I take it.  This is just so depressing.  Quality of life is really going down .   I have two other autoimmune diseases but they are nothing compared to the symptoms of RA/    Have people gone thru this and finally their body adjusts to the new med after a couple months?   

I have a feeling I had this a long time but just thought it was regular arthritis or that fatigue was part of getting older. 

Glad I found this forum 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Methyltrexate did not help me at all.  As I was on it new joints were becoming inflamed.  It also made me so sick I was in bed alot.  then I had some odd brain affects where I didn't recognize my husband.  That was the last straw.  I went on biologicals and it was a life changer.  Find a better RA doc.

• Posted

I have been on Methotrexate for 9 months with no effect. I am now just starting a Bio therapy injection but will continue with 20mg Methotrexate injection too, plus folic acid, Celocoxib ...Yes, find a new RA Doctor!
  • Posted

It is I it is interesting to read about other people's reactions to MTX.  It did nothing to improve my joint pain. I also felt very poorly whilst taking it.  But my rheumatologist kept persisting for ages.  I would have to come off it whilst my white cell count improved and then I would have to go back on it.  This went on and on until I chose not to go back on it.  I had had enough; tired, mouth ulcers, sick, boils...and I could have coped with all of these side effects if my joints felt better, but they never did.  I now take Cimzia and my joints are fab! Some seem to have good results from MTX though and I hope some have more positive stories to relate.  I completely understand that burning question: How much do I have to endure in the hopes that it will work, before I call it a day and try something else? I hope you find a solution that enables you to resume your life to the fullest possible. 

• Posted

Thank you for that. I'm just starting Cimzia next week after 9 months MTX doing nothing for my joints..

• Posted

I felt awful after methotrexate . Contact your rheumatology nurse if you have a temp you r at risk of infections
  • Posted

Get on biologics! That is the best treatment and the only one that stops the joint damage. I will not take methotrexate, I am on Humira and Arava. Feel good, no joint damage and no pain just a little tired and stiff in the morning. My doctor stressed it is best to treat RA early with biologics! If your doctor will not talk to you about biologics, get a new one!! Good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks to everyone that gave me informative responses about my starting  Methotrexate.   The fever and aches started again late afternoon so I will call the doc first thing tomorrow.  I am planning on discussing a biologic 

I didn't mean to imply that he wouldn't switch me to something else--it was more me wanting to give it a try for a month or 2 and see if I got adjusted to the drug.   But I feel awful -flu like symptoms and increased pain in the RA joints involved plus other joints now so it is having an adverse effect.   

I don't have any appeite but that has been for a long while. Has anyone else experienced poor appetite with RA

• Posted

MTX never helped me with pain nor did it stop the RA spreding or getting worse - no side effects at all though.   I'm now on cimzia taking my second injection this morning.   First injection made me extremely nauseous, and gave and diahroea, if it works I'm prepared to feel crookfor a day or day if it helps with the RA, so far it hasn't.   I think you have to ask yourself what's worse feeling crook for a few days with limited RA pain or not feeling crook for a few days with lots of RA pain???

• Posted

I was prepared to have  2 days of feeling really lousy but I took the MTX  Tues and I was still feeling awful Sat and Sunday---just too many days to cope with feeling absolutely rotten and practically bedridden.    

So hopefully starting a new drug soon.  

• Posted

I was on it for 4 years I was one of the younger people to try it found it great at the start but very sore on the stomac defs think that the docs need to start looking at each persons needs and not just give more pills. I got a lot of help from cider vinegar at the start.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.