New to Mirtazapine

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have spent a long time on Sinatapril, but after a couple of weeks of severe depression my gp has put me on Mirtazapine 45mg.

3 tabs and all I want to do is sleep, I still feel depressive and I have no drive to get on with anything.

Please tell me that things will improve, and I will return to being the happy go lucky person I used to be?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The sleepiness is normal in the early stages of treatment, as is excessive hunger. Had the munchies yet?

Most people's moods do improve after one to two weeks of taking Mirtazapine so I recommend that you sit tight and be a patient patient because it could be well worth it.

What's more is that the drowsiness will eventually end but you might continue having some of the best sleeps you've ever had. On the down side, the hunger can turn in to weight gain which people often find distressing and upsetting though I suppose one has to weigh up the pros and cons. What's worse; feeling debilitatingly depressed or a little extra padding?

For you, you can only wait and see how you respond to the treatment. I wish you all the best.

• Posted

Thank yu Ectoplasm - that was one of the most helpful posts for me. I changed to taking Mirtazapine 45mg in the evening, and you're right, I've been sleeping really well. The general drowsiness does diminish somewhat, and yes you may put weight on, but enjoying food is better than the wretchedness of black depression. So I agree, stick with it if you, and I hope you start to feel better soon. Good luck

J

• Posted

I was given mirtazapine today and having read the leaflet about side effects I'm really scared! Weight gain, restlessness, sleeplessness, swollen lips!!!!

I'm not sure that I really want to take it now... I know I might not get ANY side effects but I already suffer with restlessness and sleeplessness... I have just started trying to watch what I eat because I have been gaining weight and the thought of having swollen lips scares me half to death! I dont think I can cope with all of that on top of everything else!! (Obviously, I have been given it for a reason after all..)

What should I do?? Anybody??

• Posted

really worried now. I have been on 40mg of citalopram for almost a year but have found that my behaviour was getting more eratic, upone minute and down the next. When up i get obsessive and do things over and over never really satisfied when down i want to hide away from the world and just disappear so my doctor feels i should try mirtazapine starting at 15 mg i'm really worried about the side effects anddefinantly do not want to put weight on as am already overweight help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.