New to Mirtazapine for Chronic Pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I've started on Mirt 30mg per night, about a week ago. Prev on Duloxetine but had really bad sweating side effects which i'm pleased to say is going!! So far I've had a max of 2 hours sleep per night. I'm on a cocktail of pain relief meds for ? narrowing of the spine ? - OxyContin 40mg twice daily, upto 160mg dihydracodiene p/d, migraine prevention meds, anti inflammatories, stomach liners and few other bits and bobs. 

I slept ok before apart from waking up in pain with my hip/knees and calves and could usually get back to sleep. 

It's driving me potty just feel awful with horrible IBS flare up, constant headaches, chest feels rough as a bears bum, Been really, really hungry - was eating ice creams at 3am! 

Anyone else with similar experiences with Mirt which was issued when having depression as part of the chronic pain cycle (ie pain - lack of sleep due to pain - tiredness - depression). 

Going back to the Gp's today but as I've only had been taking it a week prob get fobbed off with "give it more time". If its a know problematic medication want to get something else of prescription asap as im a single mum to 3 kids and working part time. Fingers crossed MRI scan shows something to the Neurologist in a few weeks. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debbie, Im currently coming off mirt after many years, now down to 15mg and have been having some problems with insomnia. I've had lots of supportive advice from people on here saying to me that once I get down to 7.5 mg I will actually find that more sedating and that sleep will be easier. I wonder if that's something you may want to discuss with your GP? I'm pretty sure that any side effects usually wear off after 2 - 3 weeks initially but, again, do check back with your GP if they remain troublesome. I think, for me, the worst thing has been that I wasn't informed at the start of taking this medication that it is often quite hard to withdraw from it. It's all about being able to make an informed choice in my opinion. I hope that you get some relief soon. Keep posting on here, you'll find some really good support! Very best wishes smile xx
  • Posted

I was having really bad craving for chocollate and i dont normally eat sweets ,,,ive been taken off it now coz all i could think and dream about was suicide ..couldnt stop crying and made me feel worse than i did before taking it ..hope you get better luck with it xx
  • Posted

Hello Debbie,

Sorry to hear this. Sounds like you have a host of problems in your basket to deal with! Sometimes it's the "cocktail" a syou put it that can actually be the cause of things. Some drugs just don't go well together and work against each other. You might want to try and look up the side effects of each med and see if you can pin point which drug might actually be giving you the problem

Best wishes

Michele

• Posted

I do believe amitriptyline is used for some kinds of relief and it is also for depression 

and mirtazapam seems to be known for putting on weight

• Posted

Hi Debbie

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

You can always discuss the problems with your medication to your pharmacist. He is really the expert on this and he shouldn't be giving you a combination of drugs which are incompatibe and cause problems.

• Posted

Hi Debbie sounds like your really going through the mill. I was given Mirtazapine for IBS I think they may have thought I was deppresed, which it does get me down,I don't think I should have been given Mirtazapine though. I also agree with sleepless you should be told how difficult it is to come off,but I think that goes for all Meds you should be told the Positives but also the Negative. I think really you've had some pretty good posts on here,also like Nick I think your Pharmasist can give you the best information. But discuss your Meds with your GP aswell. I really hope you can get sorted. Keep in touch with us all.  Good Luck.
  • Posted

Hi Debbie,

I agree with sleepless, I was on 45 30 15 but the lower I went the more sleep I was able to,get. Some doctors don't know this!?? It's pretty much true with the mirt. I would try easy does it dropping to 15 over the course of time, talking to GP when I was on 7.5 I sleep,like a baby but...I was also tired during the day. So going the other way for sleep ( down)'with mirt is the way to go. The depression is a different story for most need a higher dose. Just my two cents for personal experience and from speaking with others 

good,luck and I'm hoping you feel better real quick

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.