New to Mirtazapine, slightly anxious

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, everyone!

I'm new to the site, literally just registered, haha.

So, recently, I have been suffering from anxiety, and that anxiety is giving me awful sleep problems. I have been taking herbal sleeping pills, which certainly help me drift off, but I wake early and very rarely feel refreshed. I went to my GP on Monday, with a list of things I have been suffering with (sleep issues, aches and pains, slight nausea, trouble concentrating, brain fogginess), and she said she felt all of these issues are being brought on by my anxiety. Now, before she prescribed me Sertraline, but something about them didn't sit right with me, so I didn't take them. Now, I have Mirtazapine, 15mg, and really all I want them for is to help me get a good night's sleep, and to stop my stupid brain from tormenting me all day, every day, haha! I don't have depression, at least not that I know of, so it did worry me slightly that this drug is classed as an anti-depressant, it is also prescribed for insomnia and anxiety? If my GP is lying to me, I'mma have to fight her!!! :P

But, really, guys, I appreciate any info you can give me. Another thing I am worried about is how affectively they work. I have a job, so if I take one of them a night, I'm not at risk of not waking when my alarm goes off or anything, am I?

- do they work?

- what side affects do they cause?

- have you been on them long term?

- is it easy to wean yourself off them?

I have been reading through other topics on here, and you all seem lovely, so I am looking forward to hearing from all of you.

Kind regards,

- David

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi David, mirtazapine is a great medication for anxiety, depression and insomnia. First few days it really knocks you out, but this quickly gets better and you feel normal. Most people put weight on when they take mirtazapine.
    • Posted

Hey, Evergreen! Thanks for taking the time to respond. I took my first Mirt last night, next thing I knew I was feeling a little bit whoozey, and then I was fast asleep. I didn't wake once during the night, and I must have slept a good 10 hours. I woke up this morning, no side affects as of yet, and I didn't wake feeling tired and/or exhausted. :D 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.