New to Mirtazipine, hoping it works!!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all, I've had health anxiety since I was 11 (now 37). I haven't had an episode like this in years, panic attacks, ocd's, unable to leave the house etc... I tried two other antidepressants which made me feel absolutely awful! I'm now on Mirtazipine, it is at least allowing me to have some sleep (which I haven't done properly since November last year)

I'd just like to hear some positive things about how people have found this medication, I'm in desperate need of positive things and I just want my life back! I can't believe I'm back I this place again!

Kirsty X

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have been on this at low dose for 2 years. Makes you sleep well, too well sometimes.   I couldnt tolerate higher doses which are meant to help depression.

hope it is a good drug for you as there are no horrid start up effects.

• Posted

Thank you so much for the reply, did you find it helped your anxiety? I'm so desperate now!! I'm on 15mg is that a high dose?

Kirsty

• Posted

No 15 is starting dose. I think it helps my anxiety but still need an odd diazepam 
    • Posted

Are you on 15 now? Sorry for all the questions! Do you take a diazepam for when you're really bad?

Kirsty

• Posted

No immon 7.5 and yes diazepam is still needed when a bad day.  I will have to think about trying to get off these at somepoint.  I found that of all the anti deps mirtazapine was easiest to get on, no nausea etc.  Ut its hard to,get off, but,then they all are!
    • Posted

I have heard it's hard to get off! I agree though, after the ones I've tried this has definitely been the one with the east side effects. How long did it take to kick in for you?

• Posted

I am unsure, but imthik it was about a month.  Let me know how you go, and good luck.

PS are you in uk?

• Posted

Yes, scotland. Hoping all goes well with your meds. Anytime message me if you need
    • Posted

Hi, I'm not too bad thank you, the fact that the mirt is letting me sleep for the first time in ages is absolutely brilliant, I still have my anxious moments but I know that won't go away quickly and will need the CBT therapy to help me with I think?

How are you!

Thank you for checking in on me x

• Posted

Hi Kirsty .. I'm on 15mg of mirtazapine as well, and sleep is great, been on it 6 mth and it's nice knowing I can go to bed and will sleep, iv tryed 30 mg which doc said but the nite sleeps became bad again, so I'm sticking to the 15 mg, I suffer with depression, and have now for over 15 yrs the mirt, just takes the edge of my depression, which I can cope with at the moment, I think if u get a good nite sleep then that does help a little, I also take Kalms which is for anxiety, it's a herbals tablet which u can get any where, with these to together I can get through the day , but that works for ME, we are all different so what works for one may not for another , some time it's trail and error to find a tablet that helps u... u need to stick it out and see how you go, let your body get use to it, people say u put weight on, but for me iv not put any on at all, in fact iv lost weight, and people say it's hard to come off this drug, that I'm yet to find out, as while I'm feeling good then I will stick by mirt, like I said each of us are all different, I really do hope it works for you, take care, and hopefully there's s light at the end of the tunnel for you

Lots of hugs 🙂X

• Posted

This is such a wonderful message to read thank you so much, it gives me so much hope to read such a positive story and it's great to know the side effects don't always have to be bad too!

Thank you so much for this reply!

Hugs back! Kirsty x

• Posted

Good luck.. there's is some horror stories on here, but there are plenty of good ones too, really do hope it works for you..

Take care x

• Posted

I'm trying my best to stay away from negative ones, my mind already had the tendency to think the worst as it is! Thank you again!

Kirsty x

• Posted

That's what u need to do Kirsty , if I'd listen to the bad comment at the beginning I think that I would of come of mirt and bk to the docs, but one lady gave me hope, and now I don't look back, mirt goes suit ME and that's what maters

Have a good weeken, try and keep your chin up x

• Posted

I'm so glad that one lady helped you! I'm just so desperate to get my life back!

Have a good weekend too x

• Posted

I wish I had good luck on mert 15mg, but I gained 40lbs in 2 months after starting this medicine.  It did help me sleep, but didn't help any better than trazadone 50mg.  I stopped taking it 2 weeks ago cold turkey (because my doctor said there aren't withdrawal effects), and having a really difficult time.  My doctor obviously doesn't know how to google and has obviously never tried to get off of this drug!  I socially isolated myself, became extremely depressed on this drug, zombie like, and hopeless.  The withdrawal feels like the flu, out of body, disassociative, itchiness, edginess, hot/cold sweats, tiredness, and muscle pain.  I was only on this med for 5 months, so I'm praying the symptoms don't last very long.  This is miserable.

• Posted

Oh gosh I'm so sorry!! At the moment I feel okay but it's early days I guess? I had terrible side effects with Prozac, made me very poorly, I guess everyone is different... I hope you find something that helps you!

Kirsty x

• Posted

Hi, i still am unsure if this mirtazapine is helping me,  cannot tolerate dosage increase but can sleep on low dose.  Dr is considering somerhing else, what else are you trying.
    • Posted

Hi Ann, I am trying to sleep without any medicine.  I'm doing okay if I don't hear anything.  I live with my parents (after my second craniotomy my husband divorced me and I didn't have anywhere to go) and they get up in the middle of the night, often.  It's only been two weeks off Mirtz, and the stomach acid is also causing a lot of problems (that may have to do with stress, as well).  I may have to go back on Lexepro for depression.  I don't like to be on so many additional medications, because I have Fibromuscular Dysplasia and Ehlers-Danlos syndrome...so I worry about side effects.  I don't know if this is true depression or caused by my strokes, or from the trauma of having brain surgery.  There are so many factors!  I just feel like I'm falling to pieces right now, but don't want to get back on mirtz because it caused me to gain so much weight, and made me reclusive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.