New to Orlistat

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I,m  just going to start Orlistat but have some worried I might have an accident as I have heard so many stories of people having orange oily accidents with this. I know your daily intake of fat is 30g ,15g per meal.However how do you know what a scrap of butter is in fat? I also have IBS and I,m worried this will make it worse. Any  suggestions please would be helpful?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I'm on day 7 and so far so good, no oil.

My diet is very low fat and I also follow low carb as I take metaformin. Which is part of my pcos treatment. If you stick to low fat then the side effects are very minimal with orlistat.

• Posted

Hi

I've got used to regarding a light scraping of butter on a slice of bread as 5g. If you're able to keep your TOTAL fat intake at no more than 30g a day you are very unlikely to experience the sort of oily accidents that you're concerned about - even with IBS. However, ou need to be conscious of the amount of hidden fat in foods. If you have a bad eating day you're much more likely to have an oily accident while taking Orlistat. It's a great incentive for staying on track! Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Gemini64

I'm on day 7 of the tablets - been all good so far . My hardest day was Saturday - some oil when going to the toilet but nothing to write home about .

As started if u keep ur fat to less than 5g per food u will be fine . To be honest I keep small bits of chocolate at home as I don't think I can go completely t total . Drink plenty water and good luck

• Posted

Hi Gemini64,

I too am on day 7, thankfully no side effects as yet. I downloaded my fitness pal and that has been a god send for me. I am personally eating the same as the family, just being a bit sensible.

Best of luck x x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.