New to PMR for husband. Need info

Posted , 10 users are following.

My husband was diagnosed with PMR about 2 weeks ago, thought it was gout initially. Did the gout meds with no help. Then 50mg prednisone for a week. symptoms miraculously disappeared in about 8 hours. After five days, dr. stopped the

prednisone to get an ESR crp, pain came back full force in a day and a half off the prednisone. ESR and CRP came back elevated so Dr started him on 15mg daily. Pain disappeared but after five days achiness started coming back so dr increased to 20mg. This morning he had a flare so we gave him and extra 5 mg and pain disappeared. He is six feet tall and weighs approx 225 pounds. Is a starting dose of 25 mg for a man his size too high?

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Pretty sure Eileen should be credited with the magnesium suggestion. Not something I came across when I did gen med before entering radiology. Hope it works for both of us!

• Posted

Thanks for the credit!!! I somehow think that I (or one other others who have been here a long time and heard my recommendations) will have mentioned it to anyone who complains of cramps! Mostly me as I live in mainland Europe and the first thing recommended here for cramps is magnesium: "Have you tried..." is an early question from any GP. It is available in every supermarket and that's where you are sent first. In the event it doesn't help fairly quickly - they then look further.

• Posted

Eileen, thank you for telling me about your PMR friend in France. I've made contact with her now. It's been very helpful hearing from someone living in the same area as us, and who has had similar experiences with GPs and so on..

• Posted

Maybe there are other migrants - you can found a Haut Vienne PMR support group! 😉

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.