New to pregablin

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi looking for a wee bit advice please... I suffer from depression and anxiety ... About a year ago I was put on 150mg quetiapine and 45mg of mirtazapine.. Has a bit of a relapse in the last couple of weeks and my psychiatrist has put me on 75mg of pregablin starting tomorrow... Just curious as to anybody's experience with this drug for anxiety?

Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

?Please do not consider going on this drug for anxiety. It seems to work for about 6 weeks and after that doubles your anxiety. This drug is being prescribed for all sorts of things now that it is not suited for - it existed only to treat seizures originally until reports that it actually helped to stop neuropathic pain as well. Since then it has snowballed and given out like sweeties for all and sundry. BUT, you are not told that 1) it is addictive 2) that it changes your brain chemistry 3) It has many other side effects also and 4) it is hell on earth to stop taking yet they say you can stop cold turkey. Do some research please before you consider starting this drug at all. You do not need to join the ranks of people trying to get Pregablin out of their systems because it is a long hard road, and, it really doesn't work for Anxiety. There are many natural remedies to try alongside the other drugs you are on and I have to be honest that even coming off quetiapine is not easy. I am so sorry that you live with anxiety and know how bad this can become for some. Always keep in mind that any man-made chemical compound is not a natural healing agent. Our bodies respond better to natural believe me. I am presently trying to come off Pregabalin after being on it for appalling neuropathic pain and frankly I would have chewed string if the medical profession told me it would cure me. Over the last 15 months it has taken away the searing pain I was in and I am strangely grateful for that but I suffered so many side effects including brain fog, short term memory loss, nausea, joint pains, blinding headaches, sleeping for 10/12 hours at a time, enormous weight gain (3 and a half stone), mental confusion and I could relate more. GP's and Phsichiatrists do not accept these things happen - to them it is a multi-use wonder drug!

It is not my intention to frighten you, just to warn you. Any decision you make is of course your own, but when you have not been told of the consequences this is unfair and unjust. Research please. If you have any further questions for me you can always use the private message option and I will reply

?I wish you well Lisa

• Posted

hi lisa  pregabalin for anxiety  its hard to say has everybody's different  and there body's reaction to the drug  please read that leaflet on side affects i have been on pregabalin for a while and it can be nasty like all medication it can take a while to get use too  it .  but boils down to your own body's reaction .i hope this is of some sound advice .  

• Posted

Hi Lisa , I have never written on these types of forums but feel I have to tell you my experience as just come off them. Was diagnosed with something called CRPS Complex regional pain syndrome after fracturing my foot 8 weeks ago . Similar to yourself I was apprehensive to taking Lyrica as had read all the bad read reviews , but 10 days ago decided to try as my private Docter was insisting that the internet is just full of these bad reviews and are mainly the negative ones to scare patients off and these are extreme scenarios . After starting just 50mg a day which is very low dose I felt incredibly confused, difficulty performing simple talks , could no longer go to work . Then the nausea & mind splitting headaches came on . The Docter said symptoms were temporary and increased it 75mg and in just two days my whole face had started to swell up as did my eyes was probably only able to stay awake for 6-7 hours . BY day 8 was not able to even hold a conversation ,dizzy all the time and developed a strange gagging sort of cough and then vomiting . Maybe I had an allergic reaction to them but it's was truly awful experience they rob you of all your senses. Two days after stopping I am now feeling back to normal just headaches. Sorry don't mean to scare you but as I have just been through it myself I please please try and take an alrernative . Maybe they do work for some people , the Docters seem to love farming then out but if you do take them and you start having a bad reaction tell Your Docter immediately and discontinue you will know your body better than anyone else .

• Posted

Hi Lisa. I've had a fantastic experience with Pregabalin for anxiety. I've been on it for just over 2 years now. However I do seem to be one of few that it actually helps and doesn't afftect in terms of side effects whilst using, and when withdrawing.

I had a short break from it cold turkey after about 16 months simply due to a mix up with my prescription and being too ill to get another. Anyway after experiencing 'flu like' symtoms for two weeks, they then passed and I was back to 'normal'. 

I decided to try yet more SSRIs and SNRIs for the anxiety, but nothing was as effective as the Pregabalin, so I went back on it and I'm still on it now.

Please do your research and decide what's best for you. I think you are best speaking to others who use the drug and having more faith in what they tell you, instead of just relying on what Drs tell you. As others have said here, the Drs aren't really accepting of what patietns report..  because it hasnt been sold to them by a pharmaceutical company. If the Drs don't use the drug themselves then how can they possibly know?

Good Luck!

• Posted

It is actually good to hear of someone's success story for a change yet I doubt you would have the same good fortune if you try to come off it a second time. Many I have spoken to along these lines found their tolerance had changed after two separate treatments. However, if it is helping you now with no side effects I quite understand why you continue to use it. Just be aware that the changes this drug has made to your Central Nervous System may yet work against you. I very much hope you continue to be well

• Posted

Hi Lisa, the founding mantra of medicine was first do no harm, but with Pregabalin that is just not the case. There are just so many users and former users that would tell you not to take the drug for any reason because of the serious and long lasting adverse side effects.

The choice is yours obviously, but as others have said here, do some research before considering taking this drug.

I took it for only two and a half weeks and had such a bad reaction that I had to go cold turkey. My symptoms were: extreme fatigue; mental confusion; blurred vision; staggered walking; short-term memory loss, and a host of others.

Make an informed decision and do not rely on what your Doctor tells you, because in my experience and that of thousands of others most Doctors aren't aware of the side effects, and can dismiss them as "all in the mind" which is complete nonsense.

My very best 

• Posted

My advice is the stay away. Far away. I was put on pregabalin for pain.but was also told it helped with anxiety. I was on it for about 8 years before I started getting side effects. When I began cutting back I felt more anxiety than I've ever experienced before. It's been two years of hell now trying to get off this stuff. The high anxiety is near constant and unrelenting and I'm taking it very, very slowly because I need keep working. If I went any faster I'd need to go on disability. My advice? Unless your anxiety is truly ruining your life, stay away. Its just now worth it.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.