New to Propranolol and feeling dreadful

Posted , 25 users are following.

Hi, I have only been taking Propranolol for a few days now and I am experiencing some of the side affects that others have mentioned i.e. cold hands and sweating (more often than normal), tension headaches but I actually feel worse in myself...

Although the panic attacks have been controlled (possibly the placebo effect from having something to take...), the anxiety is worse to the point where I am even considering the possibility of quitting my whole life and starting again! My concentration has disappeared entirely (I am now even more behind at work) and the will to do anything at all has gone and nothing makes me happy - given my way, I would crawl into a hole and sit there in total silence alone - I feel so sad.

Is this the norm to feel perhaps depressed to begin with?

My doctor did say things were likely to get worse before they get better and that they could take 2 weeks to work...

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I think it's worth telling you that I had an extreme reaction to propanarol. I went through a traumatic experience where my drink was spiked with ectacy, before I felt good on it and realised what happened, i went into full blown panic, thought I was going to die. it was really awful. But I was okay after, then I starting getting panicky and anxious. obviously a slight bit of ptsd, but I assumed it was just anxiety. I was prescribed propanarol. two days after taking it, i went into extreme physical anxiety, panic and agitation. i didn't sleep or eat for nearly 3 days. I went to the hospital, they said i was fine and sent me on my way, but they didn't understand how horrifically I felt. it finally wore off 4-6 days later, and I felt derealization for two weeks! my symptoms of anxiety were terrible by this point. everything got so much worse, it then subtly triggered slight bipolar and made the ptsd far worse. i obly just got diagnosed property 5 years later! still to this day, no one acknowledges it, my psychiatrist thinks it was a coincidence. but i know it wasnt. it absolutely buggered me up and i dont know why! Did anything remotely similar happen to you?

• Posted

nina84683 Did you fully recover or are you still having problems, as I had a similar reaction. Have now stopped propanlol and most of symptoms have gone away.

• Posted

your comment really strikes home.. i took a canabis edible as well as lots of espresso martinis on new years eve (just gone) and lost control and literally thought i was dying.. days later feeling really traumatic i went on to have 2 terrible nights .. nearly called the ambulance as thought it was a stroke. my friend told me she thought it was panic attacks and after lots of research i agreed it sounded similar so learnt to take some control but bad nights left me feeling so rubbish the next day. i went to the doctor and he prescribed propranolol. i started off using here and there then after a week was using every day .. everything changed. pressure headaches, blurred vision, trembling inside my head and a terrible feeling something isn't right and its been going on for a good week to two so i can only guess these feelings are linked to propranolol .. night times are terrible the worse the night is the next day is then bad .. i want to stop taking but worried about that too !!! i two think i suffered so ptsd .. i truly believed i was dying so you domt forgot those feelings

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.