new to ramipril

Posted , 2 users are following.

sad Have been prescribed Ramipril today after high blood pressure and and an ECG reading showing something not quite right- due to have an eco sound in January. Doc decided it best to put me on 5mg per day. After 6 hours started to feel calmer, bit sleepy, bit light headed but probably open to imagining things as it's scary at first. Found this site and am wary of what the next few weeks may have in store. Really useful to have this forum - would be nice to hear from someone who hasn't had side effects. Intersting that some people didn't get severe reactions until after a year of taking. That cough side effect sound ominous!!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Like you my friend I was scared stiff when I read all about this drug. what people forget is that all these side effects have to be listed tocover the doctors backside. Personally I have been lucky and had no side effects other than the initial fear of taking them.
  • Posted

[quote:450a53ec50=\"sues\"]sad Have been prescribed Ramipril today after high blood pressure and and an ECG reading showing something not quite right- due to have an eco sound in January. Doc decided it best to put me on 5mg per day. After 6 hours started to feel calmer, bit sleepy, bit light headed but probably open to imagining things as it's scary at first. Found this site and am wary of what the next few weeks may have in store. Really useful to have this forum - would be nice to hear from someone who hasn't had side effects. Intersting that some people didn't get severe reactions until after a year of taking. That cough side effect sound ominous!![/quote:450a53ec50]

Well Sus i have been taking them for about 10 days now. To be honest was really worried at first but like the other guy says they cover every possible side effect. Me, well i do feel a bit more tired and have a very very minimal shake which im sure will go eventually.

I to find myself more relaxed and as i have my own business this really helps.

Have to take a months worth before going back to see what the doc has to say. Im on 5mills as well.

I think they will monitor you untill happy with the dose you need is correct.

Good thing is my blood pressure was on a average 150,155/90,95 and after only aweek the reading i took at home was 145/88. So will be interesting to see the weekends reading......Mark

• Posted

I have just been prescribed Ramipril and am too having worries about taking any drugs to be honest.

I am currently reading this forum after doing a search and waiting to take the drug.

I have woken up today with a bad headache, probably a bit of stress cos my wife says I better get taking the tablets.

My reading the other day maxed out at 200/110 so lets see what happens after a week.

I will post the results of my experience.

Thanks.

• Posted

I too have been given Ramipril.

The good news is, that I have been on them for nearly 2 months, after the initial slight light headedness, (due to the pills lowering your BP), I have had no symptoms at all.

My BP was 170/90 and dropped within a month to 140/80 and i feel lots better and calmer. I had my first blood test after a month and go back in 3 months for another check up.

My husband has now also been given them he starts his today. I hope that he too has no problems.

I think like the others, the side effects list is an extensive one because they have to cover every eventuality in case the company is sued. According to my nurse, this drug is the best thing since sliced bread for a quick reduction of BP, and there is another one in production that will be even better. She said the only actual side effects that have been reported are light headedness at first and a slight dry cough, which does go away.

Good luck and try not to read that leaflet too much.

• Posted

After 6 weeks the reduction inBP seems to have stopped and it's creeping up again. Do you think this suggests a higher dose?
  • Posted

BP definitely higher creeping over 140/80. Echo sound showed nothing wrong so a relief there,maybe need to take more than 5 mg.I have noticed early am bp reading is higher than later in day. Does anyone reckon it might be because i take my ramipril early am and the effect has just about worn off by the next morning?? Will discuss with doc next week.
  • Posted

I have been on perindopril for over a year and today my GP has changed me to Ramipril 10mg as the perindopril was not keeping my BP down, today after 4 readings me and the doc agreed on 150/92 which is better than has been previously.

My advice for side effects is that if they do not clear within a couple of days and are uncomfortable, see your GP. My first BP tablets gave me leg pains and disturbed my sleeping, i was then changed to perindopril where i had no side effects at all.

I will wait and see what the Ramipril bring and will keep you posted.

Do not get over excited with the leaflet, just look at Nurofen, most people take these for headaches, one of the main side effects is that it could cause you headaches.

Do not worry about returning to your GP if you feel the tablets are not for you, your GP will happily talk through your concerns and if necessary find you an alternative.

Good health all

• Posted

After 2 months and blood pressure now rising again doc has pushed me up from 5 to 10 mg. Hope no side effcts as all been good so far. feel very well after 2 months on 5mg but not liking bp going up again. Echo sound all normal but doc thinks ecg showed me at the top end of normal range re heart walls thickness . Tab s should help this. He seemed un bothered - appears this si all quite common. Even when i went to dentist recently for extraction he said - oh don't worry half the world is on ramipril!!

So as they say - keep taking the tablets!

• Posted

Hi have had high blood pressure for a couple of years avg. 155 /95, so have now been precsribed Ramipril 5mg. Took the first one this morning, so lets wait and see what happens !, will update in a week or so !.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.