new to reflux and trouble dealing with it, i can really use some help

Posted , 6 users are following.

For the past 6 months I’ve had this tight feeling just below my sternum, it hurts when I push in with my fingers. In the past 3 months I’ve had 2 attacks of burning in the stomach that goes up my throat accompanied with pain across my back. The first time it happened I had eaten some crackers and apple sauce just before falling asleep, the pain woke me up during my sleep. The second time I was drinking some lemon tea (since lemon is supposed to be good for GERD), and I also ate the lemon wedge, what a mistake that was. My stomach was an inferno.

My doctor prescribed Dexilant but I had some major bloating that I just could not take. So I started one pepcid ac a day (since the limit is 2 per day I didn’t want to risk anything) which seemed to give a slight improvement, but I’m still suffering.

So far chewing gum is the only thing that helps but the relief doesn’t last long.

Every day I have this gnawing and burning felling in the pit of my stomach. My stomach also feels bloated and I have difficulty burping, I need to jump around to get it out.  Lately even my mouth and nostrils have a burning sensation. I’m still waiting for some tests results but most are ok so far. The only thing found was that I have 3 gallbladder stones (5, 6, and 7mm) which my doctor didnt seemed concerned about.

I’ve tried ginger, but it irritates my stomach

Lemon, causes an inferno in me.

Many have mentioned apple cider vinegar but I’m honestly scared to eat anything let alone apple cider vinegar.

I’ve read so much online but I have no idea what this is; Acid Reflux, Bile reflux, hiatial hernia, Candida ??

This is so frustrating. If anyone can provide some help I would be very grateful…

btw, im a 38 yo male...good health but I do have ibs

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like reflux...if you have ibs it is possible that you have SIBO. Check the symptoms and to be sure you need a breath test. Some doctors think that the bacteria in the small intestine cause acid reflux. Almost 85% of ibs patients have it...good luck i hope you feel better soon

• Posted

Hi Paul. Sorry to hear that you have this bloody awful problem.

First off, I'm surprised that you haven't had anything exploratory done after 6 months of this, you should have. This should happen now, if only to rule out what it's not. I have LPR, that's silent acid reflux. With that you get no burning but you suffer in other ways. At its worst mine has even affected my breathing. I've had every test going and no medicine works. 

Some people get relief from bicarbonate of soda in water ( about half a teaspoon in a glass) 

i don't know that med you are taking, is it a Proton inhibitor? If it's not, I certainly think you should be taking them. They don't work for me but some people get results.  Unfortunately we all have to help each other and work things out.

Push for the exploratory. Geraldine.

• Posted

Hi, I have suffered with acid stomach, coughing and irritation in my airway. 

My Reflux has now been diagnosed and small hernia after tests, including endoscopy. The opening to my stomach does not close properly. This causes the acid to escape. It also causes the gas from the acid to affect my esophagus and throat as I breath. I am going to have a treatment called STRETTA.

You do have to look at diet and cut out many foods in order, to not produce too much acid. Foods like tomatoes and tomato sauce etc. Fatty foods such as meats and spicy foods. No cream cakes, biscuits, pastries. Foods made with batter. Sugary foods too, cause excessive acid. No ginger or apple cider vinegar, no lemon.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Search acid reflux on YouTube. The problem is often caused through LOW STOMACH ACID not high, which prevents to proper breakdown of bacteria and food, the bacteria then feeds on unabsorbed carbohydrates and send acid back up into the oesophagus. If the correct amount of acid were present in the first place the food and bacteria on it would be digested efficiently and no reflux would occur. Taking omelrazole decreases what little acid we have in our stomach and yes it does stop reflux BUT it causes malnutrition due to our food not being properly broken down. The real answer is to cure the problem, not just deplete the natural acids that we need in our stomachs. Search YouTube and buy hydrochloride acid with pepsin tablets - Amazon. 

• Posted

When you have these tests for acid reflux issues done, do you have to be off from PPI's etc.?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.