new to sciatica !

Posted , 4 users are following.

im a 52 yr old woman and have now had sciatica pain in my lower back and down the left leg for 5 wks , i went to docs for the first time today and was given naproxen so i will give this a go then if the pain is no better in 2 wks she said to go back and she will get me some physio , i am a carer for my 11yr old so it is a struggle as i have to help her in the shower and to dress , are there exercises you can do ?????

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Two stretches you can try for sciatic type pain.

1.  laying on back on bed bring one knee (hold behind the knee and keep it bent) to chest and hold for 10 seconds and repeat 3 times, repeat on other side.

2.  sitting bring one leg over the other, like crossed legs, only lay the ankle/foot of one leg just above the knee of the other leg (like sitting cross legged with one leg) then bend forward.  Do this slowly and carefully as it might hurt.  Go as far as you can then stop and hold for 10 seconds, repeat 3 times and on other leg (I would start with your right leg-the good one just so you know what it should feel like)

If either of these hurt or make things worse stop.  The naproxen is a great anti inflammatory but also masks the pain, so be careful.  If it is not cleared up soon, I would get some manual type treatments from a physio, massage therapist or a chiropractor.

Good Luck Tina!

• Posted

Jane,

Not being rude, but are you medically/physio qualified as those suggestions by you strike me as being dangerous for someone with sciatica/back/leg pain, especially as you quite rightly state that naproxen masks the pain?

As a sufferer of all of those symptoms myself, and presently awaiting surgery on my back,  I would find them a/. very difficult to carry out, and b/ likely to cause me further injury/harm - I would urge Tina to be extrememly cautious in following your advice, (unless you're speaking as a medical professional), but as you say, good luck Tina!

No disrespect intended

• Posted

Patient 99,

I am a trained physiotherapist and was very careful in explaining these stretches so as not to aggravate this condition.  Yes you are right it is a bit dangerour advising stretches online, but these two stretches are reliable, researched and highly unlikely to make things worse.  Sciatica is a difficult condition to have and to treat.  If it's new (within 6 weeks), it's much easier to treat, if it is chronic, it is very difficult and painful.  I am sorry you have been suffering with it and require surgery.  From the post, I don't believe Tina's is as severe as yours.  Good luck to you!

• Posted

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your good wishes - and as I said in my previous post, no disrespect was intended

I find that the sciatica itself is just about bearable by the use of pregabalin, naproxen and diazepam (I no longer take the other drugs I have been prescribed for this),  it is just that the paresthesia is SO soul-destroying, it's really getting me down - i hope that the discectomy and decompression between them are able to cure this, am looking forward to the surgery with more than a little trepidation

Kind regards

• Posted

Hi Tina

i don't think anyone part from at trained Physio can tell you what to do. I'm a lot further down the line than u currently are having already had a DISCETOMY and now waiting for another op.

I wouldn't go to a chiropractor or anything either unless the doctor recommends it as it can make it a whole lot worse. Hopefully the Physio the doc sends you to will help it did me.

take care and keep us all posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.