New to Self Cath

Posted , 12 users are following.

I went into acute retention 2 days ago. In a month I will have my PAE and was hoping to make it. My prostate is 300 gm but no median lobe or bladder neck obstruction - just constriction of the urethra.

My lesson was so humiliating and painful though the nurse was very kind. There was some blood and lots of burning. Fisrt she tried a 16 but would not go in. The 14 did go in and the pee came out through the catheter and around it. I have not tried it again but will need to tonight. Can anyone offer tips to reduce the discomfort? Don't I just irritate the urethra even more and make retention even worse so I will never be able to pee on my own? And I so worry about getting an infection. Thanks

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Neil,

I learned to self cath about 6 months ago. I only need to do it when I find myself unable to pee due to an enlarged prostate and drinking to much liquid in a short time.

I read everything I could find on the internet and watched the movies. I use coloplast speedicaths. They are hydrophilic (self lubricated). I have used the straight and the tieman (coude) tip. I use a 12FR or a 14FR, both sizes work perfectly.

The first few times I did it, I was seeing blood on the catheter and in the urine for the next 12 hours or so. Twice I was passing scary blood clots. My urologist’s nurse told me both were normal and nothing to worry about. But with some practice I have eliminated blood completely from the routine.

I wipe the tip of my penis with alcohol wipes and then hold the catheter only by the funnel end. I don't touch the catheter itself at all. I usually sit on the side of the bed and stretch my penis outward at a 45 degree angle. Pull out firmly, it takes some of the bends out. I then push the catheter very slowly in. With the coude tip, I make sure the line on the funnel is facing me. That faces the bent tip toward my body.

Then, the important part. When the cath gets to the spincer muscle, I feel a pinch or slight discomfort. I learned to just push very gently to keep a very slight pressure on the catheter without trying to push it past. In less than a minute the muscle will fatigue and relax, allowing the catheter to very easily advance into the bladder. Breathing deep at that point also helps relax the muscle. Don't force it, just use a gentle pressure and the spincer will open and let the cath through. That method ended my seeing any blood at all.

With practice, the whole thing becomes very easy and not at all painful. The coloplast speedicaths are the way to go. I tried cheaper caths and they are not nearly as slippery and were to floppy, I had to feed them in by holding the catheter itself rather than just the funnel. And they were uncomfortable to pull out.

I hope this helps. I took one of those very painful trips to the ER with an over full bladder just one time. And had a brutal nurse Ratchet shove what felt like a gravel impregnated garden hose up me. Self cathing is so much better. If I even feel like I am having problems, I don't wait, I just do it.

?John

• Posted

Hi John,

You must have been watching me over my shoulder the past few times because you explained in exact detail everything I have been going through. Your explanation of the resistance at the end due to the sphincter muscle is brilliant and just what I need to help me visualize what is happening. The bleeding is what puts me off to avoid CIC and the pain. Do you find that sitting is better than standing?

I am scheduled for a PAE with Dr. Isaacson at UNC on Aug 9 so I am trying to make it till then without a trip to emerg where my uro is waiting to butcher me with a prostatectomy. Instead of self-cathing I have been taking prednisone which is poison but now I will try your method tonight. I have the catheters you mention ( Coude colopast speedicath 12 and 14fr). I printed out your post here and will put on the wall. Thanks a great deal. Neil

• Posted

Hi Neil,

I'm happy my post helped. It took me a while to learn the trick of waiting for the sphincter to relax. A nurse on another forum mentioned it and explained it. What a nice difference that made.

I find sitting much better than standing. My urologist recommended that. He said sitting "opens things up." But I haven't had to cath myself in a dirty gas station bath room yet. wink

John

• Posted

It is weird to read my post from 3 years ago when I first started CIC. A lot has happened since then but I must say that CIC has been a great help to me. Once I got up the learning curve with help from the kind folks here, CIC is now easier than flossing my teeth, as jimjames promised. Also CIC has rehabed my bladder somewhat so I have a good natural void. Also my hydronephrosis has cleared up too and a recent cystoscopy showed a nice clean bladder.

I CIC 4 times a day so have now passed the 5000 mark! My NVs are around 200 to 250cc followed by 250 cc catheter void when I do it.

In the 3 years I have had only 4 UTIs though the first one doesn't count since I was learning. The others were because I rushed and did not clean properly. I have only used Speedicath 14fr coude tip hydrophilics as they work so well.

BTW: The PAE failed but at least it did not harm me (except for my bank account!).

Thanks to everyone and welcome to the newbies!

Howard

• Posted

A lot of good information already provided. i self cathed for a year 4-6 times a day and could not void on my own until my Turp. i tried many different brands/models and at home found the touchless Convatec Gentlecath to be the best (used both 14 and 16fr) and found them easiest to insert in terms of being just flexible enough and not as rigid as Coloplast Speedicath. Broke the packet and had a little sleeve so never had to touch and never had an infection. I travel internationally quite frequently and had to cath over a hundred times on bumpy planes and found when not at home the Compact Speedicath from Coloplast were great. They fit in pocket and telescope out with a 12fr transitioning to 18. i found they took a little longer to empty bladder but were convenient and discreet. Used them all

over the world and easy to pack and carry on plane. i also routinely packed a couple of boxes of the Gentlecaths and never had problem with airport security anywhere in the world as the little packets of saline were less than 2 oz. Technique is to relax to get through sphincter then be patient to get through blockage - never force. Good Luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.