New to Self catheterization questions.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm on my 3rd day of self cathing. If I use a hydrophilic catheter, is it ok to also add some lubricant to the first inch or so? I know it defeats the purpose of a hydrophilic type...but is there any harm in adding lubricant?

The reason I ask is I started with the Speedicath coude tip catheter and had to switch to a hydrophilic type (at least temporarily because of what was available locally) and the first time I used it, it didn't seem to go in as smoothly.

Also, any opinions on the brand: Gentlecath Glide coude tip hydrophilic catheter size 14.

Thanks for any advice, this forum has helped me a lot this week!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I've been doing CIC for over 3 years now and only use the Speedicath 14fr coude hydrophilic catheter. I've done over 4200 self-caths so far with my huge 300cc prostate.

When I started I had a lot of trouble getting the catheter through my large prostate so i started adding some lube just as you described. I hand the catheter on the wall and pull the sleeve down about 1/3 of the way and then add a small amount of Surgilube and let it settle for a moment. When I remove the catheter I slowly twist it so the lube evenly coats it. It has made a huge difference for me over the years.

I was also told at the beginning not to add lube to a hydrophilic catheter. But in reality the lube actually adds an additional water coating to the catheter which makes it slide in easier. I confirmed this for myself under the microscope back then.

So go ahead. And remember jimjames "dive bomb" technique! Howard

• Posted

Well, I'm no doc, but can tell you I used a little lubricant, long as it is sterile, you sure don't want to introduce any germs into your interior plumbing

• Posted

Howard and Doug, thank you very much for your quick and very helpful replies!

When at home, do you use disposable gloves or just carefully wash your hands?

Thanks again,

Darrel

• Posted

No gloves - just wash your hands and be clean - the first "C" in CIC!

• Posted

On the issue of bleeding from CIC I just want to add a few more remarks.

Prior to starting CIC it is very important to get a flexible cystoscopy. This will show any physical obstructions in the urethra/prostate/bladder neck that could interfere with the catheter, such as strictures; large median lobe; stones etc.

In addition it will show the condition of the bladder wall and the presence of diverticula and bladder cancer. This should be couple with a kidney u/s to look for hydronephrosis.

In my case, 3 years ago my cystoscopy showed no physical obstructions but it did show severe muscling or fibrosis of the bladder wall. The u/s showed hydronephrosis of the left kidney.

My recent scans showed that all these conditions have disappeared after 3 years of CIC. In fact my urologist was amazed that there were no marks on my bladder wall after more than 4000 CICs.

If there are no obstructions then bleeding is likely caused by the technique. Jimjames has written extensively about the proper technique with coude tip catheters. The key is to understand the shape of the urethra and to guide the catheter to follow that shape and never ever rush or push.

I belong to a Prostate Men's group that meet once a month. Many do CIC and all use Speedicaths. There has never been a reported case of bleeding after they learned the technique and got up on the learning curve. These are modern well-designed medical devices that can save us from needless procedures if used properly. Howard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.