New to Sertraline - anxiety, obsessional thoughts, dry mouth

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I am 29 years old and have recently been prescribed 50mg sertraline for anxiety related problems. First few days I was on it I felt great, maybe a bit spaced out if anything. I'm now in to days 19, 20, and 21 and my anxiety feels almost worse than ever. On and off I get hot flushes, rapid heart rate, and pretty much constant dry mouth. I have also had occurrences of obsessional negative thoughts. I'm doing my best to keep plugging away at work, but am currently finding it difficult to keep focused. Can anyone else relate to this? I'm new to the sertraline scene so am finding it all a bit over-whelming. Thanks!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Murray.  Do you think the sertraline is causing the symptoms or do you think the symptoms are the anxiety.   You could try deep breathing or relaxation, lots of videos on you tube can help you with that.   If you think it’s a side effect of the med, then perhaps have a chat with your gp.  Sertraline shouldn’t be making you feel worse this far in so perhaps you need a higher dose or even a different med.  the point is, your gp is aiming at you seeing better days, if that’s not happening then don’t settle for what you have.  X 
  • Posted

Hi Murray, 

Your not alone, I think your great if your holding down a job as well as feeling like you do,

I have also had horrendous thoughts and utter sadness, However, they have subsided a bit.

It does get better I’m sure, it’s just that it takes a long time for Sertraline to kick in i’ve been informed. 

Please try and hang in there your not alone.

One minute i’m laughing the next i’m crying that’s what Depression and Anxiety is, oh also I have OCD, 

Coping, fighting, and trying to beat this.

Where all doing it together.

You will feel better Murray i’m Sure.

God bless you.🙏

• Posted

Sorry just re read your post I thought you had been on it longer.  It’s not even 3 weeks yet so I wiukd defo say this is normal and how most folk feel starting this drug.  If you find it really overwhelming you could ask gp for something to help calm you just while your sertraline evens out and it will even out.  It does get better, I remember when I took it years ago I felt like you do now and it passed.   Now I’m starting up on it again too so lots of us going through the same.  
    • Posted

Thanks. It's just taken me (possibly naively) by surprise as first week or so I would say I felt better. Then all of a sudden I'm on the verge of panicking again. My doctor has said that a dip a couple of weeks in is to be expected. Hearing that others experience the same thing is re-assuring. I feel like I am constantly having to re-assure myself that it will pass.

• Posted

Reassurance is what we all seek on this forum so I promise you aren’t alone in that.  We all feel better once someone else put up their hand and says “hey, I feel like that too”.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.