New to Sertraline (Zoloft)

Posted , 9 users are following.

Here goes nothing. (LONG POST) These forums having been my only small hope for the past (almost) 2 weeks. I'm going to share my story and progress in hopes it helps someone one day (plus I could seriously use the extra motivation). I've always OVER thought and stressed out about EVERYTHING, and I mean everything. Even in grade school. I also grew up with a pretty messed up childhood (sexual, physical, and mental abuse). Despite it all, I was a pretty happy person. However I could not stop having panic attacks and anxiety, and as I get further in college, the more often it happens. I finally broke with a MAJOR panic attack. I couldn't stop shaking for days, and my boyfriend had to call in to work to stay with me because I was so scared of being alone with no one to calm me down in case it happened again. I even made an emergency trip the next day to see my couselor (who I've only been seeing for 3 weeks now). I thought I was going to have to go to a mental hospital to be evaluated. Long story short, I went to the doctors 3 days later. They prescribed me Buspar (5mg day and night) and Citalopram (10mg). They are small doses, but I'm very sensitive to medications. Let me just start off by saying citalopram was NOT for me. The side effects were terrible. I would wake up shaking and so scared/paranoid. My hands were sweating 24/7. I couldn't eat, and panic attacks happened every morning. I was physically exhausted, and would wake up every 1-1 1/2 hours when sleeping (when I could sleep). After the 5th day I called the doctor (freaking out with anxiety) and he took me off the citalopram and switched me to Zoloft as well as upped my Buspar to 10mg day and night. Today is my 5th day with Zoloft. My appetite is slowly coming back, and sleep is a bit better. I'm not sweating nearly as bad. It does however make me have "bathroom" issues, but only in the morning. I yawn and I'm tired a lot (could be from lack of sleep). As far as my mood, I do not feel as anxious. It's still there, but most times I'm able to control it. I believe it's slowly helping with my intrusive negative thoughts. I will say I do feel a bit down and dull. Like a "hopeless" feeling and lack of motivation, even though I know logically things get better. I was not depressed before this, but I just think my body is tired now from everything. I try eating because I'm at a healthy weight now (20 y/o female 130 lbs.). I may not have waited to get the full effects of the citalopram, but I'm determined (within a heathy mental state of mind) to get through the first weeks of Zoloft. 

If you made it through reading all this, I thank you!! I will keep posting my progress 

If anyone has questions or would like to keep in touch to support each other let me know!

Support and positivity,

Allie

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Allie, you have already made lots of progress, I totally understand how your feeling and it will get better but you will find Sertraline is a slow acting drug so you will get your good and bad days, please don’t give up and if you need to talk I’m here xx
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I guess it's one of the "bad" days. Do you take this medication?

• Posted

Yes I do Allie I’ve been taking it for a long time, I’ve been on 50mg for many years but had a massive set back 8 weeks ago and my doctor upped it to 100mg which I struggled with for nearly 5 weeks, that was 3 weeks ago and I’m still having bad days but I am not going to let this beat me! You have have already made lots of progress in less than a week so try and look at it in a positive way 😃 you will probably get many bad days but you will also have good days. Please just try and stay positive, I no it’s easier said than done but trust me you can do it. Xx

• Posted

I see the doctor next Thursday and I think they are going to up it to 50mg (I only take 25mg). I cry a lot on this medication ): I'm just hoping everything levels out soon. I've never felt so "low". It makes me not want to get up or talk to anyone except a few people I'm close too. Thank you so much for the support. I'm hoping it levels out for you as well!! Are you having physical side effects or just mental ones?

• Posted

When I was taking 25 and 50 I also spent a lot of time crying and just feeling all out awful. Now I’m just really struggling with the anxiety, having racing thoughts and fears at all times. I’m just generally scared all the time and I don’t know why. I’m hating it! This is the end of the first week at 100, so I know the doctor is just going to say wait another week or two and see how you feel but I don’t think they understand how hard it is whenever you feel so awful. I was off meds for about 3 months and all I did was cry all day and feel terrible so I know being on meds is the right choice for me, I’m just scared this one isn’t going to be the right one and I’m going to have to wait even longer to feel back to normal again 
  • Posted

Mine were both at first, I’m still not sleeping well but I can handle that I’m used to it anyway, mine are more silly thoughts that I no aren’t real but I have severe health anxiety so my thoughts just get blown out the window. I’ve been through what your going through and I no you can get through this, just keep talking i always found that to be a comfort. xx
    • Posted

I feel as if my thoughts are obsessive and I cry so much. Thank you for listening to my complaints, I just feel so indifferent and tired 
  • Posted

Your thoughts are only thoughts not real, your crying because the thoughts are taking over, you will see a brighter happier future just give the Sertraline time. If you want to pm you are quite welcome xx
  • Posted

Update Day 7: had a horrible dream last night and woke up in a panic. Calmed myself down, but then just felt down. I stayed in bed all day until I finally decided to get up and clean a bit. I had to then get ready for work. Cried a little bit after work because I started thinking about the bad dream again. It's like thoughts get stuck in my head and they don't leave. Wasn't as anxious today, just sad with thoughts just racingsad keeping with it though!!

If anyone wants to talk, I'd love too!

Support as always!!

Allie 

• Posted

My thoughts have been racing all day too. Very anxious and out of it feeling. Just feeling afraid and I don’t know why. I hate it when I feel that way! I know it’s not easy to get regulated on a new medication and maybe I did jump up too fast. I don’t know. I just want to feel normal again and not either anxious or depressed. 
    • Posted

Hi Allie, how you feeling today, are you feeling any better?
    • Posted

Just woke up!! It's 7:30am where I'm at. It's still early, so hard to tell how the day is going to be, but I'm just going to go with it smile I want to have a positive good day

How are you?

• Posted

I’m fine thank you, just try to stay positive and focused and hopefully you will have a good day 😃

• Posted

Update day 8: Okay, well I will start off by saying I had a pretty good day, but I felt out of it a lot. I am sad to say this is the end of my Zoloft adventure due to increased depression. My doctor feels as if the depressing and dull moods are not a good sign for me and this medication. I will be starting Prozac tomorrow, and I will say I'm nervous/scared. Wish me luck!

As always, sending support!! I still will be active so send me a message if you need to talk!

Allie

• Posted

I’m not surprised, I get so anxious taking anything which is why I haven’t done anything about my anxiety until recently. Maybe it’s 3rd time lucky. Here if you need me x
    • Posted

Good luck, I hope this all works out for you. Please let us all no how you get on xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.