New to Site - Have Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm Slow Growing

Posted , 3 users are following.

First of all, thank all of you for all the posts. Whether it's great info based on your experiences or the good/bad/ugly about this condition - it's all helpful. Everyone is different, but a lot of what you've said probably applies to a lot of folks reading this discussion.

Here's my story. I'm in my mid 50's, diagnosed with 3.9 cm dilation of my ascending aorta. It's growing at a rate of .1 cm per year, which I guess is pretty slow. 

I, too, am horrified about open chest surgery, but I'm optimistic there will be an easier procedure by the time I need the surgery.

I now have to go back every year vs. every two years and will get an angiogram/MRI/CT next year. Allergic to contrast dye, so not sure how that will work. I want the best possible results, so I guess they can pre-treat me for the allergy. 

Thank you all for the wonderful posts and information. Keep it coming. I will check back in when I can to see how everyone is doing.

Prayers to you all for good things to come, good health, and hope. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Im sorry and I understand your issues ... I have just found a 4.8 TAA and I'm a mess over it ... I just posted looking for help and ideas ... I have a top surgeon who agreed to do the job mainly due to my anxiety over this. I guess it's a comfort knowing I found it like you ... But I have no history of its growth ... So I'm torn about wait and watch or go get the job done ...

• Posted

Hi Joseph, I'm so sorry to hear this happening to you too. I've just discover mine as well about a month ago, I know how stressful it is I'm still very anxious and I'm using medicines for anxiety if I can't control it, I've past thru a few horrible weeks of stress couldn't breath😨Which is actually not so good neither and only worsens the situation!!! I must say this forum helps a lot and I'm thankful to all who have replied to my posts, of course it's a little different for every individual. I've just travel back to Europe (currently live in Dubai) to have a second opinion from a cardio surgeon and he said:  just continue your life, get rid of your stress, just monitore it every 6 months and wait and see how quick its growing. He prescribed BETA BLOKKERS which I have to start taking them from now. People who know they have an aneurysm they don't die he said, only the ones who don't know!!!! Btw I'm 54 yrs old, 53 kg and no one in the family has heart problems as far as I know, having a super healthy lifestyle never have smoked and never drink much! My aneurysm is 4cm which could be a normal size for someone with 1.80m H but I'm only 1,58😳.  Anyway try to except it and don't take too quick decision, monitor at least a few months see how quick it grows and these days surgeons can perform more difficult heart surgeries than an aneurysm repair. Even successful heart transplants, think positive, take care , Anastasia 

• Posted

Thanks so much 😊

Yes I have no history on the growth Watch and wait ... Ugh

Be well my friend and take the meds .. They have really calmed me and BP is low

• Posted

Please share or pm me the hospital name and surgeon's name in NYC if you don't mind. I want to have some more options. Also do you have any idea of how much such an operation will cost in the US? I have family there for support but medical insurance won't cover for US. Need to know the cost. Thank you in advance

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.