New to site & Lactolouse

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Ladies, I am new to this site, glad I found it as has been interesting and helpful reading smile I am Katrina 42 from Dereham in Norfolk smile

I had a straight forward vaginal hysterectomy last Sunday 8th February, pleased that I had no cuts from keyhole in the end and to be honest I feel 10 times better than I expected!

Just a question I wondered if any of you could help with, how long do we have to keep taking the Lactolouse?

I have had no bleeding just some pinky discharge and really the only pain I have had has been "windy" pain and if I need to open bowels (brings tears to eyes at times)

I did start on just taking 15ml of Lactolouse once a day but then I up'ed it to 2 x 20ml a day this certainly helped a bit but I just don't know when to stop taking, hospital give you no idea but then again its my fault for not asking lol

I have been doing little bits around the house and from reading on here this morning I'm thinking maybe I should'nt have oppss

Think most of us ladies will find it hard to no nothing, hate seeing bits laying around so its just natural to pick them up and put them where they belong!!!

Hopefully someone can shed some light on the Lactolouse, I do realise everyone is different smile

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Katrina I can't answer your question I'm afraid but I'm interested to know if your bowels are ok? I had a vaginal hysterectomy and repairs on the 11th Feb because of prolapse and despite taking the tablets prescribed by the hospital I'm struggling. Hope your recovery continues to go well. x
    • Posted

Hi, I don't usually have problems with going to the toilet but the Lactolouse has certainly helped,its just the pains when I go! Suppose it is still early days so will ring docs end of week if no better smile

Are your tablets to help you go? If not, why not try Lactolouse? x

• Posted

Hi Katrina

I found this site yesterday and it's great to chat with girls who've shared similar experiences and can offer advice.

Chat with your pharmacist or doctor re the Lactolouse as you say everyone is different, got to say have had no problem in that department. Make sure your eating healthly, fruit and fluids can help, but it might be your body sorting itself after surgery and lack of fluid after being nil by mouth. Once I was awake up on the ward I was drinking like a fish and my son happened to bring me a pack of fresh fruit which I ate at 2am when I woke up awake as anything, next morning ( day2) I trotted out and not looked back.

Hope you get yourself sorted and welcome to the site

Lesley x

• Posted

Hi Lesley and thank you for the welcome smile 

I am eating healthy with fruit and veg and also trying to drink at least 2 litres of squash a day (don't like plain water) The up and down to keep weeing is fun lol If pain no better by end of the week I will give my doctors a call smile

I went down to theatre at 410pm, came round about 6pm and back on ward about 715pm, around 9pm they asked if I had been up for a wee lol Got up couple of times in the night, can't sleep when having blood presure etc done every hour lol Then I was discharged Monday lunch time! They dont keep you long now haha x

• Posted

Hi Katrina

I know what you mean about going to the loo. I had my op on 31st Jan and I dreaded it the first time. I was not prescribed any lactulose but my partner suggested Dulcoease - the ones they advertise on TV - they are not really a laxative, they just make your poo softer and easier to pass.  I was justing taking one at night to counteract the effect of the pain killers which are notorious for making you constipated.  I'm now not taking any painkillers at all and things have returned to normal in the poo department!

Do be careful not to overdo things.  I was only told not to lift, but because I felt so well when I came out of hospital - no pain, discomfort or tiredness - and because I am a fairly active person (walking,jogging etc) I thought I could carry on virtually as normal round the house.  As a result I suffered a heavy bleed which frightened me and lasted a couple of days.  I went to the Dr and he gave me the option of just resting and monitoring it or going into A & E.  I didn't fancy being poked around any more, so just went home and stayed in bed for a day and a half, which seems to have done the trick.  But don't be fooled into thinking you can do things - it's not worth the risk.

Good luck with your recovery

Sharon xx

• Posted

Hi Sharon

Thank you for your reply.

I was'nt prescribed Lactolouse but was advised to take it.

I stopped taking Naproxen 3 days ago as I could not get to sleep at night, don't know if they are the reason or not, but worth a try. I am now just taking Ibuprofen and Paracetamol when I think about them lol So, hopefully things will improve in the "poo" department soon smile

I have read on here that 2-3 weeks after surgery ladies have had a bleed due to internal stitches, do you think that is what happened to you?

I will be careful bit difficult when single and both kids out working, I do try to get them to get me bits ready for the day, they have actually been brilliant I thought we were going to have a few arguments lol Daughter was off all last week so that helped a lot smile

Oh the joys of being female!!! x

• Posted

Hi Katrina

Since I had my bleed I have read that a bleed at 2/3 weeks can happen and that's reassuring.  I am really disappointed at not having been given more information when I was discharged.  I was very lucky to be booked into the private wing of the hospital (my partner complained to the CEO of the NHS Trust as my original date was cancelled the day before, even though they could have informed me a month before that there was a bed problem - he threatened taking legal advice and as a result I got private care free!).  Anyway, my point is that the cost of the op and the private care could have all been wasted due to the fact that no proper recovery plan is given to the patients when they leave.  I was merely told not to lift anything, and that was it!  I shall bring up this point with them when I go for my post-op check up.  It would cost them virtually nothing to provide a 'do's and don'ts' leaflet and I am sure it would cut down on the number of patients who end up back in A&E with serious bleeds that could have been avoided.

Glad that your kids are being helpful.  I live on my own normally but met a guy back in early  December and he has been wonderful (talk about him 'drawing the short straw' with me!).  I am staying with him for the full 6 weeks recovery period and he has been brilliant - can't do enough for me.  After years of enduring a very unhappy marriage, I feel so blessed to have met him!

Best wishes to you for a full recovery.

Sharon

xx

• Posted

Hi Katrina 

I live in Dersingham, Norfolk, glad to hear you are recovering so well.  Sorry cannot help with your question, but I am sure your GP will help if you ring your surgery.  I am still waiting for my op The Queen Elizabeth at Kings Lynn have only just started operating again after putting everything on hold because of the killer bug norovirus.  

I am sure some of the Hyster sisters on site will help with your Lactolouse, they are a smashing bunch with lots and lots of help.

Best Wishes

Jacqui 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.