New to site, LS, live in Cape Town

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi,

I am 38 & live in Cape Town, South Africa. I had 3 1/2 years of fertility and now have 2 beautiful boys who are 5 1/2 & 4 1/2...so my 'lower half' and I have been on quite a bumpy (painful & invasive) road for the last 9 years...

I was diagnosed with LS about a year ago (by my dermatologist after a year of misdiagnosis by my gynaecologist...as thrush). I think that this subject really needs to be made more available to South Africans as there is no literature on it here and our gynaecologists don't seem to know much about it or how to diagnose it.

Quite a lot of skin damage was done before the correct diagnosis so by the time I started using the dermovate I was already in quite a substantial amount of pain (redness, itching, painful sex, painful passing stools etc). There has been some discolouration of the skin and the texture seems to be different (sorry so graphic).

My Mom and sister are very supportive but clueless so it would be great to chat to those who are experiencing the same things as me. Please advise of products to ease pain...especially which soaps and lubricants to use.

My husband also knows but he is in denial...where I have been for the last year!

Thanks for reading...Leah (not my real name, sorry)

1 like, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

The info given is good.  My doctor also said not to use bleach  or fabric softner on my undergarments or towels that might have to touch me there.  I rely on coconut oil to protect skin after bathing.  If using Clob wait to use the coconut oil for an hour or so after medicine so clob will be effective.    Good luck and hope you find some success in treating it.  

I also found that the lack of information among my doctors to be disturbing.  I even had one give me Premarin to apply to aid the condition of the skin, and then another finally did a biospy and identify the LS.  He gave my Clob and referred me to this site to learn more. 

I had a removal of my ovaries and uteres for cancer about 7 years ago and then after that was when the LS developed.  I tried over the counter meds for a few years then I finally ask the doctor to help me.   I think the dietary into is important also.  I am off gluten and dairy, and try to stay off sugar.   When I do eat veggies more I think I am better.   Good luck and keep reading.

• Posted

I am intrigued yor GP/ Doctor referred you to this site...... That speaks volumes - i hope lots of doctors ARE reading our threads too!

There is a theory that oestrogen cream on the vulva when the hormone levels are depleted witll plump up the tissue in the area- hence the Premarin I suspect- however if you are on HRT it is thought to be unnecessary

As a matter of interest when i was on the 5:2 diet last year i was so much better LS wise and there was an article that said after a fast of 72 hours the immune system was rebalanced after going into a decline during the  fast - but I havent read any more on this subject recently

• Posted

Hi Mary34643,

I think I probably need to have a closer look at my diet...I eat way too much dairy!!!

Thanks for the info, chat soon, Leah x

• Posted

You and I h ave a lot in common and I can identify with you. I too had a hysterectomy and other surgeries. After that I got LS.

I am thinking that dairy and sugars have to go from my diet, not that I eat a lot of them, but I do like probiotic yogurt. Stress seems to trigger my LS. Last year, I took the attitude that I was going to eat better, walk more and exercise. I had zero flare-up. I lost nearly 40 pounds and felt wonderful. This year, I have had a concussion from a fall, and several stressful health issues that have kept me indoors and for weeks in a dark room b/c of headaches. Now I am on my third month of LS flare-up. Seems like body stress to me!

I can't use bleach, or any scented products. I wash my underwear in baking soda and hot water. It can't say that I find it makes any difference though.

Good luck to you and I hope you keep posting.

• Posted

So sorry to hear your suffering.  I was diagnoised about 2 years ago.  My GYN put me on Clobestro l cream in a tube 2 times a week.  It helps a lot and will stop the spread.  I use a very gentle soap on the area, never soap with detergent, I use baby wipes that only have viamin E after each time I use the bathroom.  I also developed Hypothroyid, choking while eating and many bladder infections.  I use a salve like vasoline after the wipes to keep the area from cracking and tearing.  Many of these other problems appear to affect many of the women.  KEEP THE AREA SPOTLESS, most important.  I wish you the best from Florida, USA
    • Posted

Hi Pat48434,

Thanks...I am going to get some vasoline...always worries my when applying creams and ointments that some goes on the inside too much and that is not good?

Thank you, Leah x

• Posted

Those who have walked a bit in your shoes may be able to better understand, they say.  My biggest help came from baking soda baths and rinses and application of coconut oil for moisturizing.  Glob for maintenance twice a week.

Trying to live a life without too much stress (a bit of a challenge at times) Cutting out food items like sugar, alcohol, gluten, caffeine and most dairy.  Plus hormone replacement. Supplements may have an added affect -  vit D, C for instance.   

• Posted

Hi Hanny32508,

I am so looking forward to one of those baths...definitely need to try that...just need to put the little guys to bed first so I can try unwind too! smile

Leah x

• Posted

One third of a cup of baking soda in the bath, just so you know, too much baking soda in it is not recommended.  Enjoy and relax.
    • Posted

Had a wonderfulife bicarb bath early this morning...felt very good and really helped!!! smile smile smile Going to become a routine thing!!!!! ♡
  • Posted

Wow, thanks for all the replies and information...I finally got the guts to write to you all late last night and now I am very pleased I did so thank you!!! 

Couple of quick questions: 

In terms of hair removal (keeping it neat), I haven't been able to do much but does it help to keep things shorter or should I just leave alone?

Coconut oil - as in the stuff I use in the kitchen?

Can I use normal aqueous cream that comes in the tub?

Food stuff - trying to cut down on sugar and carbs...not so sure I will manage cutting out the caffine and alcohol with two incredibly active (naughty) little boys - I do need to survive wink

Barrier cream - do I use baby barrier cream or is there an adult one?

I was told that my ovaries (eggs) were old - hence the fertility (even though I eventually fell pregnant naturally with both boys)... I suppose this could mean that I going to hit menopause early...therefore the hormone changes?  

Stress...job, husband, small kids...LS...creating a lot of stress in my life at the moment. Not getting to the gym as much as I would like.  I have also had 7 knee ops and both ankles which doesn't help so swimming at the gym pool is the best excercise for me but LS flares up when I do a lot of training!!! *angry face* 

Thanks again, so pleased that I have finally got the courage to face LS and to actively do something about it...need to do a lot of work...

'When women support each other, incredible things happen!'

Leah x

• Posted

Hi Leah

Some thoughts;

could the chlorine in the pool be causing flares? there was a thread about that a while ago, maybe you could search it. I'm having to rush out, sorry so I've only got time for a quick reply.

Nappy cream is good. I used Weleda Calendula nappy cream to good effect, others use a barrier cream with Zinc and find it soothes. Coconut oil - I use organic raw food grade from my local health food shop, and keep a tub in the bathroom to use after every visit. I've got young kids too but found that I drastically reduced coffee, and have now managed to cut it out. I still have the ocasional glass of wine and don't flare. And REALLY enjoy it for the rarity!

Normal aqueous cream ok but check for perfumes and avoid if there are any. I found something called Epaderm much better, if you google it you could find out if there's an equivalent where you are.

Got to rush off now, hope that's helpful. We're all different and have the things that work best for each of us, but you'll get to find your own favourites as you go.

Good Luck!

• Posted

Hi Bridge of Sighs,

I definitely think it could be something in the water but I also think the friction on that area in a swimming costume in liquid for extended periods of time (1 hour) doesn't help...would be nice to know the answers!

Thanks, Leah x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.