New to statins

Posted , 7 users are following.

hello! I'm new to this group, I'm 53 and have just been diagnosed with high cholesterol and have been put on statins! My cholesterol reading was 8 and have been put on 20 mg of Atorvastatin, don't know if I should take them any feed back would be appreciated. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah,  have you tried diet and exercise?  Did gp tell you the ratio.  I was told the ratio matters just as much as the overall reading.  Do you have any co morbidities with the high cholesterol?  I was given simvastatin 2014 as my reading was 8.2 it was the worst thing I think in my life to happen to actually know the reading.  I was on the statins for six months in the six months I kept being sick, being dizzy and had headaches but thought it was menopause.  Then I got cramps and severe muscle wasteage I concluded it was the meds’ I had to come off them.  My cholesterol after being on them for three months was 4.2 so yeah they had worked but I was so ill.  I don’t think I had any bad cholesterol to function.  I exercised about 80 miles per week and the muscles just went and lost about a stone in a week.  I still exercise at least an hour a day and do not know my numbers for cholesterol.  I eat better than my husband and he does no exercise but has 4.2 total cholesterol.  I think my body makes more to compensate for my stress and depression and exercise to overcome these feelings.  I worry every day about my cholesterol and plaque so I’m sorry I don’t have the answer.  
    • Posted

Sue is absolutely right - it's the ratio between HDL and LDL that is more important than just the single figure reading.  I had a level of 9 and my GP told me I was 'a stroke waiting to happen' he basically used scare tactics to indicate I'd drop dead without statins.  I took them in blind faith and then suffered years of terrible awful side effects and even though I stopped taking them some of the damage is permanent.  I have totally normal blood pressure, normal blood sugar levels and eat a very healthy vegetarian diet.  At the time of the tests I exercised regularly, swimming 30 lengths at least three times a week.  Due to the damage caused by the statins I lost muscle tone, became almost housebound and could no longer exercise.  I researched for myself as my doctor resolutely refused to accept my problems were due to taking statins.  They definitely were.  My good cholesterol is also high, thus the ratio between good and bad is at a good level.  By taking statins it reduced all cholesterol, not just the 'bad'. Resulting in deficiencies causing severe health problems, including the muscle wastage, pain, cramps, loss of cognitive function etc.  Statins are not suitable for everyone and should not be the first step to reducing cholesterol but the last resort when other methods have failed.

• Posted

Hi Loxie,  You sounds like you do all you can.  Do you know your numbers now?  I don’t know mine.  I try to live my life as I have depression and anxiety so I believe in the saying we live once and knowing my numbers even with all my hard work would be soul destroying.  I agree with you entirely the statins kill all kinds of cholesterol.  When I had 8.2 reading I had 2.8 good cholesterol.  My husband had 4.2 total and 1,2 good cholesterol which the ratio is no better than mine.  I think the more exercise we do we need cholesterol to repair muscles etc and without it you and mine muscles just wasted,  a neighbour kept asking me why are you losing weight?  I had to double over my trouser waistband muscles were so atrophied.  My legs didn’t join in the middle including the calves I came off them and gained weight but it took about a year and a half.  I don’t think reducing the dose would work either.  Reading your post has raised my spirit  a bit. X xx
  • Posted

Hi Sarah, I was also given statins when my cholesterol went up to 8.2 first simvastatin but I suffered with bad leg aches so went onto 10 mg every night of atorvastatin, no probs at all and its now 5.2 and that was after about 4 weeks after taking them. Been on them since about February, the choice is yours of course, yes some do get side effects that come on here but when you consider how many take them there will be some who can't tolerate them.

My advice is if you do take them then ask for the starting dose to be 10mg with plenty of fluids and after three months test again, if you decide not to take them you need to look at other alternatives, diet, weight loss, supplements that can be expensive etc like I said the choice is totally yours.

Do you have history of any health problems in the family

• Posted

Hi Sarah, as I said its totally your decision and really you should follow the best course of action that benefits you, no matter what others say its your health that's important to you and your family.

I would never try too coerce any one into following my life choices but I hope you come to a good decision for you, I'm always about no matter what you choose, for or against

• Posted

H Sarah,

I absolutely agree with Loxie and Sue...the only thing I can add is that Statins also raise your blood sugar and can cause diabetes.I took them for a number of years...different kinds ...tried most of them...and as Loxie said....some damage stays with you years after stopping them....I don't know what number my cholesterol is....and I don't want to.....I was never told the  ratio...only that when I started the statins it was 8...and I was made to feel that was a dangerous number....I eat sensibly   have a good diet...can't excercise...because of the muscle pain.....and wish that I had never taken them in the first place....read all you can about them Sarah

• Posted

I also was told that the ratio was the important number. The last time my cholesterol was taken it was 6.6 but the ratio was 2.4 so all was well. However I was still offered a statin as that, together with age and various other numbers made my Qrisk over 15%. [Box ticking rolleyes]. I asked the dr if given my state of health she would take a statin and got a firm 'NO'. Doctors have to offer them though.  I have another test due tomorrow so will be prepared this time!

• Posted

Hi Sarah - I won't add to the list of ailments described - we'd be here all day - but would urge you to research the drug and multiple side effects. Diet and exercise are the best ways to deal with cholesterol. Don't let the doc fear monger or keep you in the dark. Mine did and the results were many and debilitating. In the end I manned up, tossed the drug and fired the doc. It's taken more than 2 years to regain my health. As for the numbers - I don't care. Diet and exercise is the answer for me. Good luck to you whatever you decide.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.