New to T3 great to start but now back to feeling mega tired

Posted , 3 users are following.

I started on a very small dose of T3 (5mcg x2 per day plus Levo) first couple of weeks saw small energy increase which now seems to have stopped and back to feeling tired out! Also had a few headaches. Is this normal until the dosage is sorted properly?? One good thing though is my IBS seems slightly improved!!!! I know these things take time but would appreciate your advice!! Thanks in advance guys 😄

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Wendy. I'm sorry I can't offer any advice as I'm new to the whole thyroid journey. I did want to ask you though. Why are you on T3 as well? Is that what is normally given for hypothyroidism? Just wondering what to expect!! I hope you get some good advice. Taz
    • Posted

Hi Taz Tigs no T3 not usual currently thyroid sufferers are petitioning to make it a recognised treatment in the UK. I have been hypo for 13 years and always tired etc.... So needed alternative treatment. Try not to worry tho many people feel much much better with the prescribed T4 (levothyroxine) it's just that one or two of us don't fit the usual! I'm sure your GP will start you on low doses of Levo which will build up gradually following blood tests (arghhh still hate needles!!) good Luck its a nasty disease but hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones!!
    • Posted

Thank you Wendy2014. It's awful what our poor bodies go through. I hope your doctor is supportive and understanding. It's tough as you have to try and get on with life I.e. go to work ..Do family stuff. Last Tuesday I could barely get out of bed. I felt shivery and dragged myself to work. I was soon happy this morning that I could stay in bed for a bit.

Thanks again Taz x

• Posted

Hi Wendy, you're not alone, I have been told by a consultant that there is a significant minority who don't feel well on the 'correct' dose of thyroxine as indicated by the blood tests. I am one of them. I too have tried T3. It seemed to work then wear off. I don't take it anymore.

I have some suggestions that are working for me (note: I am not medically qualified, suggestions 3-7 below should be discussed with your doctor before being followed):

1) take thyroxine In the morning, at least 30 minutes before eating (it has recently been found that thyroxine is metabolised better on an empty stomach).

2) Don't take iron or calcium medication within 2 hours of taking thyroxine (they affect how thyroxine is metabolised).

3) Request that your 'Ferritin' level is checked at your next blood test (one consultant told me if one's Ferritin level is less than 50, thyroxin isn't metabolised properly; which then affects how Iron is metabolised into Ferritin - this is my understanding and may not be medically accurate.

4) Discuss with your doctor whether they would sanction a trial of you taking 25mcg more than the bood results suggest. Discuss the pros and cons e.g. take calcium tablets to mitigate against osteoporosis.

5) You may need more thyroxine in the winter months (October to March). I do.

6) Self monitor your thyroid levels by taking your pulse at night when you have been resting in bed for 30-60 minutes. For me, anything less than 60 beats per minute means I'm underactive. Keep a diary of pulse and symptoms and dose and blood results. Discuss with your doctor.

7) To avoid high/low swings in symptoms, when tweaking thyroxine dose, do it a quarter of 25mcg at a time. Be guided by your doctor though, this is for when dose is about right not when making major changes.

8) You are likely to need more thyroxine when pregnant.

The above are based on over 20 years of having hypothyroidism. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.