new to the forum and have questions

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I am new to this forum and would like to understand more about what i have found myself having to deal with.

In sept 2015 at the age of 52 i had an attack one morning which was quickly diagnosed at the A&E stage as pancreatitis. over the next few months it was determined that i had severe acute pancreatitis with necrosis. probably due to a reaction from the medication i was taking from the statins group. After months of settling i underwent a series of endoscpoic transgastric necrosectimies at bristol to empty a syst that had formed. after more than threee months in hospital i was allowed home but when i started to regain the 5 stone weight loss it transpired that virtually all my pancreas had died. subsequently I am working at around 5% but it does mean i am now diabetic and insulin dependant and taking creons with all meals.

I have recovered sufficiently to this point where the diabeties is controlled but i have questions about followups and worries over the pain i still sometimes get resulting from all this. it is nowhere near what the first bouts felt like but i do get high stomach/ internal pain where i imagine my pancreas once was. it is not constant and may be triggerd by certain foods but i am not sure. is there anyone who can relate to this or is able to offer advice please

yours in anticipation

julian

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My pancreas calcified nearly eight months ago and pancreatitis is genetic. I had my total pancreas removed but still have "phantom" pain and scare tissue (adhesions ) pain. All in all my pain had reduced but is still there.

I was a "pills only" diabetic problems before the surgery but

Require insulin now and am considered a brittle diabetic. Changes to my diet has been required and of course Creon has been required for every meal/snack for digestion.

Recovering from the whipple/pancreas removal has been the most difficult but I'm feeling improved results every day.

Hope this helps. Stay comfortable!

• Posted

thanks Jo, interesting. That is the first time i have heard of brittle diabletic and had to look it up. my h number was quite steady up until two months ago but daily recordings have been more difficult to control since this period (two months)started. 
  • Posted

Hi Julianpablo,

Im new here as well, in January of this year i started 10 mgs lipitor took it for about 5 weeks then say Brown urine, i now have symptoms of insulin resistance, opposite to diabetes, so im being evaluated for Chronic pancreatitis and im very very scared, i believe that i unknowlingly had an ongoing issue with my pancreas and that was the final straw, i am amazed that liptor at that dose can do that, i even broke the 10 mgs into two and took 5 mgs every day and still damage. i dont have much pain to talk about just bulky loose stools, if i eat fatty foods its worse, im not yet on creon etc as im still being diagnosed, did MRis, Ct scans all normal.

I think from all ive seen you have o maintain a low fat diet and stay away from alcohol.

Regards

Andrew

• Posted

thanks Andrew,

from my experience i went from 0 problems to one massive problem in 15 mins flat. and from then on it was a slow recovery. with serious complications, including crushing of the liver due to swelling and jaundice as well as infections that nearly wiped me out several times. Avoiding alcohol and fatty foods seem very relevant and will see if it settles over the next few weeks, although i apparently showed no signs of gall stones which is a trigger to a pancreatitis attack, as is exessive alcohol. Also something i could rule out.

• Posted

My wife has just been admitted with acute pancreatitis. No gallstones and she is not a heavy drinker. Always been fit and well. One minute she was fine, the next throwing up and in agony. The doctors are so busy they don't even have time to discuss with you. I'm very anxious.

• Posted

Hi Daggers,  sorry its been so long to reply to your message. for some reason the notifications come up in spam folder. i sencerely hope your wife is doing ok. there seems to be so many levels of severity with this but i empathise so much with what she has been trough. the pain is unbelievable. 

on the up side i have to say that apart from the odd little blip there is an almost unchanged life afterwards. i just hope hope your wife has reached that stage

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.