New to the idea of hypnosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I realise there is no 'magic cure' but just how effective can hypnosis be in the treatment of depression. My depression symptoms are low days, feeling worthless, anxiety, low self esteem and lack of confidence. I have been in a very (mentally) toxic environment at my last job for 6 years which led to my depression. As such I find it hard to remember a time when bi felt confident and of worth. My feeling is that if I could somehow regain my confidence then it might have a knock on effect and help with my anxiety and then ultimately my depression. Also, how does one start treatment. Is it something one can go to their gp about for a referral?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

i find doing it daily really helps i certainly notice the differance when i dont do it .

and SAD lamps are a boon to .any time of year for deprresion not just winter.

• Posted

Good Afternoon....you have taken the first step by acknowledging that you want your life to change.  Is there anyone you could take to, spouse, friend, etc., as that is a good first step.....also don't discount your family physician, you can put you in touch with appropriate help, support group, therapist, etc.  

From my own experience, it is one step at a time...before you know it you will see little gains in your life, even just waking up and enjoying your first cup of coffee, to actually making plans to see someone or do something that bring you a little joy.

Also know that you ARE NOT ALONE, in your feelings, may people, all ages, walks of life, can have depression - their is NO shame.

Please take the first step and let us know how you are doing, Patricia

• Posted

I have removed myself from the toxic environment. I decided it was just going to make me worse and worse. I saw a therapist and took anti depressants whilst in my old job. Now I'm out of it I am not taking anything and am concentrating on doing things to get back to 'normal'. I have made new friends, I try to do new things as often as I can and I am keeping myself busy. I get extremely frustrated that I'm not how I used to be before my depression. As I say, now that I'm out of the environment that started my depression I just want to regain my confidence and self esteem and hopefully this will help me recover from my depression. I'm not sure if hypnosis can help me do this. I have a hypnosis cd. Part of it asked to imagine a time in your life when you were really confident and to concentrate on the feelings, how I look etc and when it's really clear in your mind, to then press your finger and thumb together. The idea is that every time you need confidence you press your finger and thumb together and your brain will associate this action with the feeling of being confident. the problem I have with that is that I have been feeling low for so long I can't recall at time when I felt confident to concentrate on. My hope is that a hypnotherapist would help me remember and to build on that feeling, if that makes sense.
  • Posted

Don't know about a GP referral, but you can try.

Point is, hypnosis, like many alternative techniques, works on some but not on others. You can only tell if you're the hypnotisable type by having a go.

Better to start with a human hypnotist. If it works, try graduating to a CD.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.