New to the medication methotrexate

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello my name is Frannie. I just was diagnosed with PSA about a mo ago.

I have has Psoriasis most of my life.. ugh.. Im hoping this med will help. 

I dont want any weight gain.. Any tips other than not eating. (:

I find if I walk daily and watch my sugars im ok.. I am hoping to keep on these meds and not have any injections.. I m on week 4 and my only concern is my legs swell so im putting them up. It is what it is .. Praying for Grace.. Im open to any suggestions.. thanks for listening  Frannie

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Frannie,

Sorry about your diagnoses but at least now you know what you're fighting. Many of us didn't get diagnosed for years. I've been on MTX since my early 20s - I'm now 49.  Yes, it's a strong medication but I believe it's slowed down the progression of the disease.  Most PAs have medium to severe psoriasis and mild arthritis - I'm the opposite.

My advice is let your doctors know everything.  If it's causing nausea - don't think it's just something you have to put up with - tell them.  Doctors can only improve treatments with data so we need really open lines of communication with them. The upside with MTX is we are carefully monitored with blood tests so if it's putting any pressure on your liver, iron levels and kidney they will know about it before you do. Talk to your doctor about a directic for the fluid retention. If you are using any unconventional treatments (which I don't advocate but it's your choice) let your doctors know.  Even the most innocuous herb can interact with these medications. 

Many with this disease have to cycle through different drugs and/or combinations of drugs to find which works for us.  Celebrex changed my life overnight - I love it but other people didn't get that benefit. Be kind to yourself and don't let people who have no idea what you are going through judge you.  If you are still walking unaided it is a hidden disability that some won't take as seriously as they should.

MTX should not make you gain any weight.  The arthritis drugs that causes weight gain are the corticosteroids and then only in large doses.  Keep an eye on your mood levels - clinical depression can sneak up on anyone dealing with this diagnoses and chronic pain

I hope this helps and if you need any more general info I'm happy to help.

Michelle 

• Posted

Oooops - it's diuretic not directic.  

• Posted

Hello Michele

Thank u for the response. Yes Im walking every day and trying to stay as active as I can. I do have some swelling in my legs. I will see the Dr in July for tests.. I will contact. He did say hcumowever I can still take my natural tumeric and curcumen. I do watch the depressive symptoms. I am a woman of faith so prayer helps.. I am still working pt time and want to continue. I will call the dr.. Thanks again.. Have a nice day.

Frannie

• Posted

Hi Frannie,

I am on methotrexate for the 2nd time, after asking for it. I had injections which did'nt seem to do much or last very long. I was put on methotrexate 10 years ago when it was discovered I had  psoriatic arthritis, I was on the drug for about 2 years, felt much better, back to normal, so I came off it until I had a fall 18 months ago, after getting nowhere with the injections, I wanted to go back on methotrexate. Last year I could hardly walk and had to use a wheelchair, 6 months on the drug, I can walk better, not far, but can now get up my garden and up a few steps, I know with time I will be walking as normal in the high street. I not worried how long it takes, I know I'm on the right road, keep positive.

Hope you get on well with methotrexate.

• Posted

Thank u.. Im glad you on your way to recovery again.. This is a very challenging disease.. my left hand swells and I have a disability in my right hand.. my feet are getting better. toes swollen.. im hoping i still work pt time.. and will continue to as long as i can.. thank u again..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.